JBL L300

As I said, I am in the process of rearranging our house. I used to have a 22 x 14 room upstairs that was rather hot in the summer and cold in the winter. We are going to use that room to make two bedrooms for the kids (with heating and AC taken care of). I will now have an 11 x 12 approximate room downstairs for listening. It will work out well, I am purging a lot of excess gear, and will be able to listen more often.

No problem here. You can have an intimate environment for quiet listening, or if the mood ever strikes you, you can punish yourself thoroughly with a few watts!

Don't purge TOO much gear! Incidentally what do you mean by the adjective "excess"??? when referring to gear??

Unfortunately, for the next week or so, I can't listen to the L300s, as I have removed the woofers and lenses and repacked them until the L300s are carried down the stairs. :(

R-r-r-r-re-re-removed the woofers????

Such is life.

Worse things have happened.

We are going to be OK.
:)

Yes they have, and yes you are!

I am actually rather excited, as the new room will be very listening focused, instead of being my workshop as well. I will be using a room in the basement for gear storage and workshop.

I will upload pictures as soon as I have the new room set up properly, and you can all admire my lava lamp collection as well. :)

YES!! Love it!!!

Yes, Valveglow, I will upload to your lava lamp thread, and I will also be prominately displaying a valve amp or two. :)

@canuckaudiog , get those JBLs repaired! :)

Also, when ready, I would love to entertain some local AKers for some DSOTM, or, if that is too stereotypical, whatever you want to hear. :)

Oh, this is getting good...REAL GOOD!!!!

As I said, I am in the process of rearranging our house. I used to have a 22 x 14 room upstairs that was rather hot in the summer and cold in the winter. We are going to use that room to make two bedrooms for the kids (with heating and AC taken care of). I will now have an 11 x 12 approximate room downstairs for listening. It will work out well, I am purging a lot of excess gear, and will be able to listen more often.

Unfortunately, for the next week or so, I can't listen to the L300s, as I have removed the woofers and lenses and repacked them until the L300s are carried down the stairs. :(

Such is life.

Worse things have happened.

We are going to be OK. :)

I am actually rather excited, as the new room will be very listening focused, instead of being my workshop as well. I will be using a room in the basement for gear storage and workshop.

I will upload pictures as soon as I have the new room set up properly, and you can all admire my lava lamp collection as well. :)

Yes, Valveglow, I will upload to your lava lamp thread, and I will also be prominately displaying a valve amp or two. :)

@canuckaudiog , get those JBLs repaired! :)

Also, when ready, I would love to entertain some local AKers for some DSOTM, or, if that is too stereotypical, whatever you want to hear. :)

Ah what's a week or so compared to the two years you waited to hear 'em in full swing, eh? ;)

A dedicated room is a must for the best sound. It makes such a big difference having total control over what's inside the room. One thing I would highly suggest is to keep other speakers out of the room - the sympathetic movement of the woofers will muddy the sound. Those L300s will thank you!

Also, I did get the L36s fixed up. I'm listening to them right now as I type this. They were a little trickier to refoam than the typical speaker (you know, having the surround under the cone) but they are singing! Maybe now I'll get a little taste of that JBL sweetness you are experiencing. :)

Glad it all worked out. The only problem with big JBLs is they really weigh a lot, so up and down stair is a back straining ordeal.

When I took them up there, I carried one up myself, that was nuts.

Truth is, one of the first things I did when I needed to rearrange things is go straight to my local ACE HARDWARE store :rflmao: and buy a good quality hand truck at a good price. That tool has saved me so many times I can't count them!

This thread should be a movie.
Honestly one of the better audio related threads I've read and a nice bonus considering my absence for quite awhile now.
Life gets lifey is all I can say about that.
@faber12, you seem like a really cool guy and it's been a pleasure seeing how you stuck with this project. I guess an initial distrust of PayPal paid off for you..certainly sonically anyway.
Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
So, I had not used Deoxit F5 on the L-pads yet. I did not want to peel the foilcal off to access that 4th screw. But, how to reach them? They are really far up and over there.

Here is my solution to this problem. I work at the local ACE hardware store, as Valveglow so well knows. :) I got a piece of weed trimmer vinyl fuel line, small enough to barely push on to the tube from a can of Deoxit. I got one foot of the tubing.

I then connected one end to my Deoxit can's tube, and the other end to another can's tube to make one long tube about 1.5 feet long. This enabled me to spray the L-pads without removing them from the cabinet.

Obligatory picture:IMG_20160907_225751_063.jpg

Picture time!

Attachments

• IMG_20160909_232034_260.jpg
    IMG_20160909_232034_260.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20160909_232050_218.jpg
    IMG_20160909_232050_218.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20160909_232115_607.jpg
    IMG_20160909_232115_607.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20160909_232138_777.jpg
    IMG_20160909_232138_777.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20160909_232152_876.jpg
    IMG_20160909_232152_876.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 72
@Valveglow has recently brought it to my attention that contrary to common sense JBL drivers are sometimes intended to be wired with reverse phase. In fact, some of their drivers are actually backwards to begin with, that is to say that they are negative phase.

I would like to ask a few of you for some guidance here, as I am just getting confused by my research into correct wiring of the drivers.

I have the 077 tweeters, LE85 compression driver, and the 2235H woofers.

I have the positive(?) wire running to the red(positive?) terminal of each driver. Is this correct? They sound great.

Respectfully I would like to tag a few of you whose knowledge is much greater than mine. Please don't feel left out if I don't tag you, I welcome all input.

@mech986
@hjames
@GD70
@Zonker92

Thank you in advance.

@Valveglow has recently brought it to my attention that contrary to common sense JBL drivers are sometimes intended to be wired with reverse phase. In fact, some of their drivers are actually backwards to begin with, that is to say that they are negative phase.

I would like to ask a few of you for some guidance here, as I am just getting confused by my research into correct wiring of the drivers.

I have the 077 tweeters, LE85 compression driver, and the 2235H woofers.

I have the positive(?) wire running to the red(positive?) terminal of each driver. Is this correct? They sound great.

Respectfully I would like to tag a few of you whose knowledge is much greater than mine. Please don't feel left out if I don't tag you, I welcome all input.

@mech986
@hjames
@GD70
@Zonker92

Thank you in advance.
In this instance, I bring nothing to the table. I haven't opened up my L200's. My only suggestion is to follow the schematic if you have it.

I am out of town until Thurs, if you don't have the answer by then I'm happy to pull my drivers and provide a full analysis of the polarity.

Back
Top Bottom