JBL L45 Flare eWaves

Zonker92

All shiny and chrome
OK, this one was a beyotch. Built for a friend's home in Maine, if we can figure out how to get them there. Sitting in my garage for now.

I started out with water-damaged L45 cabinets and wound up splicing in new bottoms, then added plinths, new backs and new baffles. Two tiny veneer patches.

I used 2235H woofers with QSC 152i waveguides with D220Ti drivers up top, crossed over around 1,000 Hz. I used the eWave SR HF circuit (see http://techtalk.parts-express.com/s...-Your-PCD-Mettle/page25&p=1658207#post1658207), and the 4430's LF circuit (seehttp://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/studio monitor series/4430lr.pdf).

Thanks to Bart for the cabinets and woofers and general moral support!

IMG_9121-001 (Large).JPG
IMG_9119 (Large).JPG
IMG_9401-001 (Large).JPG
IMG_9425 (Large).JPG
IMG_9504 (Large).JPG
IMG_9505 (Large).JPG
IMG_9542 (Large).JPG
IMG_9544 (Large).JPG
IMG_9506 (Large).JPG
IMG_9546 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Very nice job!!! You should post these in the eWave thread if you haven't already. I bet they sound great.

1000hz seems too low to cross that CD.

Thanks! That eWave thread is such a monster I tend to ignore it these days. I feel like posting in it is like pissing into the ocean. But maybe I'll throw it up there.

I had another thread asking for help on the crossover, and no one seemed to have anything really specific to tell me about it, so I kind of winged it. I lifted this circuit for the HF, and now I recall the high pass is around 3K, so I may have misspoken above. I'll edit it.

Last edited:
Thanks!! Mostly in my driveway; I wheel out the workbench and table saw! :biggrin: The neighbors must wonder what the heck I'm doing.

We'll send up a flare for Zonker's Flair for great wood work. Moot point though though as these are far beyond the donor boxes now. Didn't realize these will have to go across the country, thought they'd end up in SF.

Thanks, Bart! My previous Viscount eWaves are already in residence in SF, and these Flares will be lighting up a newly-renovated barn loft in Blue Hill, Maine.

Getting them there will be a bit of a chore, I fear!

I used to live up there (24th and Valencia), but now I'm down in Fresberg. (Although there are some surprisingly nice areas down here.) I built these up for a buddy in San Francisco, but he's actually planning to use them at a house in Maine.

I like that bench. Can it be used with the table saw both as pictured, and with the saw rotated 90 degrees and the benchtop serving as an outfeed support?

Thanks! And yes, that's the idea, although I just built it and I still need to finetune the respective heights a little and rout a track in it for the crosscut sled.

Another feature is the working surface is basically 4 x 4 so I can just drop on a new top in minutes. And if I ever get a compound miter saw I plan to add a bay for it, too.

Hey Zonk!
Magnificent work! I'd love to see interior pics of the grafted sections mating to the original boxes.
The front baffle shows screws, the next pic they are gone. Filled or a sheet of thin ply or something over the entire surface? And show & tell more about the veneer?

Glenn

Did I spy the results of a Krieg screw jig? Used one on my trailer re-fit/re-panel and it worked great! The little home-on-wheels is stronger than ever.

Nice save on the water damage.

BTW, ewave is electrically a 1-1.2 KHz low pass combined with a ~3 KHz high pass, and due to the frequency response of the D220Ti, acoustically it's a 1.2 KHz XO, IIRC. Sounds OK with the 2235's? (I'm guessing it does!)

Magnificent work! I'd love to see interior pics of the grafted sections mating to the original boxes. The front baffle shows screws, the next pic they are gone. Filled or a sheet of thin ply or something over the entire surface?

Thanks, Glenn! I didn't really take any decent interior shots, but it's nothing too exciting. I cut off the bottom at 45-degree angles, getting rid of maybe half an inch of water-damaged side wall, and glued on a new piece of MDF in the same shape. The new plinth is glued and screwed to the new bottom. I beefed up some of the internal bracing a little bit, and added a "saddle" for the horn. I cut out the recessed baffle but left about two inches around the edge for added strength, glued a new baffle on top of that rim, then used a router trim bit to take a little overhang off the side edges around the baffle. I also cut off the back and glued on a new one, again to mitigate water damage. I really reused only the top and sides, plus a little of the baffle and some internal braces.

And show & tell more about the veneer?

The veneer is original. Once I trimmed it, what was left was in pretty decent shape. I did two very small patches (clamping photo above). I didn't bother veneering the new bottoms, since the plinths are glued and screwed to them. I used Watco Danish Oil on the veneer after sanding it lightly. I used Duplicolor Bumper & Trim Paint on the baffles, backs and bottoms; I love how it creates an even, durable satin finish.

Did I spy the results of a Krieg screw jig? Used one on my trailer re-fit/re-panel and it worked great! The little home-on-wheels is stronger than ever.

Yes; they are cool! I used those screws on the plinth and a front to rear internal braces that replaced the original brace that had been in the way of the new woofer location.

Nice save on the water damage.

Thanks!

BTW, ewave is electrically a 1-1.2 KHz low pass combined with a ~3 KHz high pass, and due to the frequency response of the D220Ti, acoustically it's a 1.2 KHz XO, IIRC. Sounds OK with the 2235's? (I'm guessing it does!)

OK; that is interesting. Makes sense and shows how little I know. They sound good so far but I need to haul them inside to really listen to them and try testing them; right now I am seeing a midrange hole and I think I need to reverse one driver's polarity to fill it in. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom