1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Jbl l55

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by Austy, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Austy

Austy New Member

20181021_182819.jpg
    Picked up some lancer 55s today. My first JBL. I quite like them. I have some yamaha ns 500s which are nice too but I like these a bit more. I love that beryllium tweeter on the 500s though.
    I should get them off the ground though? Mine are pretty far apart. I will have to do some rearranging. 20181021_182842.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

Congratulations. I would raise them up, recap them, clean the L pads and refoam the woofers. (Don't use brake fluid on them, as some people do.) You'll be amazed at the improved bass response with more limber foams.

3. Austy

Austy New Member

Thanks for the reply. So that's a no on the dot treatment? I have read varying reports on here. I have reframed a few speakers but maybe I will get a pro to do these ones. How high should i elevate these, or is tilting enough?

4. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

Apparently, the brake fluid will limber them up for a while, but seep into the cone and stain and damage it in the longer term.

I would elevate them at least six inches or so; ideally, the tweeters should be level with your ears when you're in your preferred listening position. Tilting them back seven degrees or so isn't a bad idea, either.

Austy likes this.