JBL l65 Jubal Project

Best way to get the lpads out so I can clean them? I was trying to get the port tube out but didnt want to force it. Second thought was take the badge off using a hair dryer to see if there are accessible screw heads behind it.
Figured I'd ask first.
20180517_181119.jpg
Thanks in advance!

If you can't get a deox tube into the back side of the L-pads (usually they have vents on the rear surfaces), yes there are screws under the foilcal. Be delicate though, they wrinkle easily and getting them stuck back on nice and flat becomes a real chore.

John

I see the vents John, I'll try to get around the port tube with the cleaner tonight.
I dont want to try removing the badge, but I also know I want to eventually repaint the black parts if I decide to keep them. I guess painters tape would protect them well enough though.

You are going to have to take that foilcal off in order to get to the heads of the countersunk bolts on that Lpad. I did it on my Jubals, and there is no way around it that I know of. It is pretty easy with a hair drier and some sort of a flat blade. Work slowly and they will peal right off.

You are going to have to take that foilcal off in order to get to the heads of the countersunk bolts on that Lpad. I did it on my Jubals, and there is no way around it that I know of. It is pretty easy with a hair drier and some sort of a flat blade. Work slowly and they will peal right off.

What glue did you use to replace it afterward? Also, did you use a rolling pin or something to flatten it back on the speaker?

What glue did you use to replace it afterward? Also, did you use a rolling pin or something to flatten it back on the speaker?
Actually I parted mine out so never reapplied them, but I think I would be tempted to remove all traces of the existing glue, flatten the foil out and stick them back on with something like shoe glue, or another product called E6000 https://www.amazon.com/E6000-230010-Craft-Adhesive-Ounces/dp/B007TSYNG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526669709&sr=8-3&keywords=e6000
I see they make a spray version too. However I have never reapplied one of these so there might be better options..

Got my new surrounds done for the JBLs! Was able to take them for a test spin a little last night. Initial reactions are very good in comparison to my Ohm FRS-9's! Soundstage is definitely better as well as bass response. Much more revealing speakers. Will try them out in prime position when I get to spend more time with them this weekend.
Excuse the mess, temporary set up.
20180530_213047.jpg

Good grief, that's an insane steal for those. I paid about $900.00 for a new pair back in 1975. In today's inflation adjusted dollars, that's over $4,000. I thought the blue grille cloth looked much better in my setup.

What an awesome deal! Kudos to you!
Now, enjoy the heck out of them! ;)

Nice thread. I just need grills for mine. If I could get a template I'd be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom