JBL L71 Verona

windchaser

I have a pretty decent pair sitting in AZ near Tucson. These are fairly rare vintage JBL's...so rare that it is hard to get an idea what they are worth these days. I have the original bill of sale, and owners manual. Appreciate any input from those who are familiar with these beauties. Any ideas on price?

Thx all !

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not trying to police the forum, just letting you know this will be moved to D&S, if not deleted. I don't know the answer to your question, or I'd tell you.

Thanks for that suggestion ! D&S is a far more appropriate location - oversight on my part for not putting it there in the first place. Thx again for the suggestion !

edit - thx to the mods who it looks like have moved this post to D&S - where I should have put this post in the first place.

Hi windchaser. You peaked my interest, so I read this.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1972-l71.htm

I didn't remember the model, so I looked it up. Those are beauties you have there. The furniture is gorgeous not to mention the drivers. If I owned them I would value them at $1000 or more but that doesn't mean they would sell for that. I couldn't find a sale on them, looking online for a few minutes. I wish I still lived in Prescott. :smoke:

It looks like the Verona came with these drivers, the 135A, LE5-3 and LE-25.
Pretty much the same as my JBL L65 Flairs, also quite rare.
What is the condition of the cabinets and 15" 135A woofers?
The 135A came with the lansaloy surround, which more than likely will need replacing if it hasn't already been done.
Unless you are willing to ship them, then finding a buyer in your area willing to pay anything over the value of the drivers by themselves, would be a good question.

Nice marketing writeup, but they don't actually mention what drivers are in the speaker. I'd be leery of $1k without knowing that.

John

It looks like the Verona came with these drivers, the 135A, LE5-3 and LE-25.
Pretty much the same as my JBL L65 Flairs, also quite rare.
What is the condition of the cabinets and 15" 135A woofers?
The 135A came with the lansaloy surround, which more than likely will need replacing if it hasn't already been done.
Unless you are willing to ship them, then finding a buyer in your area willing to pay anything over the value of the drivers by themselves, would be a good question.

That would be the L45 Flairs, the L65 is the Jubal. The L45 with the 15" 135A driver is sort of a "Super" L100, same mid and tweeter, bigger woofer.

The 135A is basically the forerunner of the 136A or H and pro models 2231/2235 15 inch woofers, so its pretty good. The Lansaloy surround, if intact and original (and usually very stiff and hard) seems to confer some value for those who like originality but the driver won't put out much low bass in that condition. Otherwise, if the surrounds are cracked or otherwise unsuable, figure they should be replaced by the proper narrow roll JBL type surround before sale. Sometimes they fetch good money without the repair but it always depends on who's bidding.

As noted above, the big problem is shipping. If you are willing to ship overseas, you might find willing buyers, but making the arrangements is always a crapshoot. There are buyers who are front men/agents for overseas buyers who will address the shipping in the US for containerization to the Far East.

Here's the tech sheet on the L71 Verona, and then the L71A Verona:
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L71 ts.pdf

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L71A ts.pdf

That would be the L45 Flairs, the L65 is the Jubal. The L45 with the 15" 135A driver is sort of a "Super" L100, same mid and tweeter, bigger woofer.
I'm always get those numbers mixed up, I also have the L45s which are in my main listing room, the Flairs are in my shop and in need of restoration.

Thanks for the comments...I will put some pictures up tomorrow and welcome your feedback on these.
Looking forward to pictures of your L71s.

I'm not trying to police the forum, just letting you know this will be moved to D&S, if not deleted. I don't know the answer to your question, or I'd tell you.

It would only get moved, not deleted. He is merely asking for a current value, and has not mentioned any thoughts about selling. Selling outside of Bartertown gets an ad deleted, but not questions of value.

Thanks for all of the replies. I bought these from the original owner for two reasons - I am a long time vintage JBL fan and also like that these are very easily driven with a nominal impedance of 8ohms so they are very tube friendly and I have 30 watt/channel Class "A" hybrid integrated that I believe will pair up very nicely with the Verona's Fortunately being in AZ for life the lansory surround is still in remarkably good shape. I took some pics before they got loaded that I will post once I download them

Interesting enough these were sold new from West Coast Stereo in December of 1974. They are seriously heavy as well !

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in posting some pic's...these were just taken quickly before shipping and apologies for quality as well...

Verona1_zps1ad673d5.jpg

verona2_zps8608b581.jpg

Verona3_zps714b3a38.jpg

Well, you had to be there.

This!

I just bought a pair of C61 Sovereign II's with a S7 load on Monday. They have that look. :D

Those Verona's look to be in excellent condition. Not very common. I almost had a pair a few years ago. I was the second CL caller.

Let's see the innards. :yes:

This!

I just bought a pair of C61 Sovereign II's with a S7 load on Monday. They have that look. :D

Those Verona's look to be in excellent condition. Not very common. I almost had a pair a few years ago. I was the second CL caller.

Let's see the innards. :yes:

Bob, you should also post some pics of your Sovereign II's for comparison. I'll have to track down some pics of my C60 Olympus with the fretwork grilles.

Sure, these all came from a time where there was regional themed furniture design, JBL worked that into their speaker designs so that even then WAF was a consideration, and even a selling point in interior design.

Bob, you should also post some pics of your Sovereign II's for comparison. I'll have to track down some pics of my C60 Olympus with the fretwork grilles.

Sure, these all came from a time where there was regional themed furniture design, JBL worked that into their speaker designs so that even then WAF was a consideration, and even a selling point in interior design.

I don't have them home yet and never saw them in person. I had a friend pick them up for me. The owner had caked them with polyurethane and they look bad, but they are all there including the wooden grill frames with an ugly tan grill cloth. The S7 load is the main attraction. The lenses are intact etc.

Finally got the L71’s home this weekend and had a chance to get them setup tonight for a brief listen. Used an old Sansui AU-777a that was sitting in the closet to drive it and even though it is a fairly modest 30 watts/rms channel it was truly amazing how much sound the Verona’s can put out even when fed so little.

This was my first time hearing the 135A woofer “in action” and I have to say it is a very capable performer. The L71 Verona has a hefty cabinet at close to 100 lbs with lots of interior volume…the front ports are huge but I can now see why…the 135A can move a lot of air ! The mids were of course classic JBL as the LE-5 I have heard before in the L65 Jubals & L100’s. The LE-25 tweeters are like an old friend as they were also in my L36 Decades.

It was my first time hearing the L71 but it is a very enjoyable speaker…all the things I have long enjoyed with classic JBL only with extremely substantive low end. The 135A is a nice driver and when in the L71 Verona it is like a fine piece of furniture that actually sounds pretty impressive.

Back
Top Bottom