JBL LE-14c in Barzilay cabs ... does this look fairly priced?

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
upload_2017-12-10_17-16-49.png

I haven't had a chance to own many of the big 1960s JBLs ... I of course am in love with the cabs...

This ad mentions them paying a grand for them... but I have seen the ones on the bay for $300... so what do you all think?

View attachment 1063576

I haven't had a chance to own many of the big 1960s JBLs ... I of course am in love with the cabs...

This ad mentions them paying a grand for them... but I have seen the ones on the bay for $300... so what do you all think?

My friend almost bought this one for $500 but when he received the sizes from the seller he passed it because... looked at the PIC he thought jt is a big cabinets likes the Altec valencia, but actually its size is smaller then the PIC: h 29 in, w 24 in, d 18 in

the particle board in these cabs is kinda crappy, and if you rock the speakers onto the edge, especially the back corners, it'll smoosh em. Not that has any bearing on desirability, because if you want speakers that look like this, well then these are what you'll be getting, damage or no, but something to check beforehand and be mindful of when moving them

I've been offered Altec 605s in very similar cabs for 1100... I think these JBLs will be on CL for a while, I have some pondering time.

I've looked at that Ad as well since I'm a Barzilay fan. I would say that 1K paid would be for some who is looking for Mid century pieces regardless of price. Audio wise I wouldn't have paid anything 1K or close for them. The drivers are not favored in my opinion and I would buy them only if it was for the cabs. I've thought about it hard though lol.

I've looked at that Ad as well since I'm a Barzilay fan. I would say that 1K paid would be for some who is looking for Mid century pieces regardless of price. Audio wise I wouldn't have paid anything 1K or close for them. The drivers are not favored in my opinion and I would buy them only if it was for the cabs. I've thought about it hard though lol.

Yeah... I think I'll back away from these also. I like the look, but the asking price just makes me shy.

Late to the discussion, but for general information — There was a LE-14 woofer, and also a coaxial version with a tweeter, as Rob suggested, where the dustcap would be.

The LE14C was the coaxial version.

These were the LE14C. I went to look at them. They sounded alright. Nothing that knocked my socks off. I think I have spoiled myself with all the deals I've gotten in the past, because I have to compare them to the other speakers I've bought in the "over $400 category...
I would have bought them for $250... but not the $500 that the seller wanted. I know they would probably retail for $750 in a store.... but I'm not the guy that spends that kind of dough on a so-so speaker.

On to the next rabbit hole...

Well I thought about pulling the JBLs , dumping them on the bay ( net maybe 250) but then I'd still have $250 in the cabs... that's just still too rich ... Aww what a hobby!

Back
Top Bottom