JBL lx series speakers

brainsmasher

Mid-Fi Madman
I have been listening to a new to me set of JBL LX44 speakers they are a 3 way with a 10" woof a cone mid and those titanium tweeters. I think the are some from like bestbuy or the such but they sound great very clear good punch and that is just sitting on milk crates in the garage. Not quite the l112's but they rock all over the J312 I had a while back. Anyone else have a pair of the LX series and like them or is it just a fluke these sound so good to me.

Hello brainsmasher. The JBL's would be LX55 if they have a 10 inch woofer. The LX44 was a 3 way
using an 8 inch woofer in a smaller cabinet. I bought my JBL LX55 speakers new in 1992 from Best Buy. The LX were the series right under the L series-L100t3, L80t3 etc., I have the JBL brochures for both the L & LX series of speakers. The LX55 used a 10 inch high polymer laminate woofer, 5 inch high polymer laminate midrange & 1 inch pure titanium dome tweeter. Crossover frequency 800hz/4khz, frequency response 40hz to 20khz, sensitivity 92db, recomended amplifier power 10 to 200 watts, dimensions-H-26.25" x W-13.75" x D-12". Weight-
62 lbs each. The LX series utilized a absorbent neoprene covering the front panel surrounding the drivers engineered to absorb diffraction waves & rounded diffraction reducing vertical edges. I have my LX55 hooked up to some Mcintosh gear-MC 7150 autoformer amp & C 38 preamp. They are a good sounding speaker to my ears.

After all these years of telling women it really is 6 inches I must have started believing it myself. They are an 8" not a 10" but that just makes me appreciate them even more. Very solid build and an apparant bargain.

Hello brainsmasher. The specs on your JBL LX44 speakers-8 inch high polymer laminate woofer,
5 inch high polymer laminate midrange & 1 inch
pure titanium tweeter. Crossover frequency-800
hz/4khz. Frequency response-45hz to 20khz.
Sensitivity-91db. Nominal impedance-8 ohms.
Recommended amplifier power-10 to 150 watts.
Dimensions-23.5" x 11.75" x 12". Weight-33 lbs
each. The brochure states that the crossovers use low loss, low distortion inductors and audiophile grade polypropylene bypass capacitors.

@bob sumrow

This thread is from 17 years ago and the participants haven't posted in 17 & 5 years respectively.

If it were me I would create a new thread where you'll get active members to respond.

I just came across this.
I did an upgrade on my LX-55s, LX-44s, and L100t's.
If you are interested, I can post pics.
I did my upgrade around 2020.

I really like the LX series and I feel the crossover upgrade was a significant upgrade.

The -55s and 100t's are keepers for me; although I'd replace the 55s I have if I could find another set with better cabinets. Unlike the 100t's, the 55s have a foam front baffle that is irreplaceable so you really can't replace the laminate skins.

I have a pair of LX22 that came from the factory with labels on the back for LX55, so it's hard to blame the owner for any confusion. Decent little speakers but likely the least I've paid for any JBLs . . . other than a free pair of J-series.

Back
Top Bottom