Jbl lx22

zombie1210

I just got this mint pair of JBL LX22's. I don't know much about them, but they sound really nice for smallish bookshelf speaker. I'm pushing them with a Sansui 9090DB and they put out a lot of good clear sound.

I will probably delegate them to my second man cave in the garage, and use either a Marantz 2285 or an HK 430.

Heavy for their size. Around 17lbs each.

Anyone else have these? What do you think of them?

RhekThy.png

53XP9a4.png

IAnyone else have these? What do you think of them?

I have a pair. Mislabeled by the factory as LX55. Not bad for what I paid but vinyl cabinets and stamped-frame drivers.

I've found there are no "bad" JBLs, just okay, good, better, and best.

Enjoy!

I have a pair in the garage, along with an old Onkyo Sub. Sources are all Integra. I'm pretty happy with them; plenty loud when needed, and fit perfectly in a tight spot.

Foam surrounds still good, all original.

Bought them new for my fiance in 91/92, she's a keeper, too!

I have a pair of LX44 which I think is the next model up the food chain. They contain the same titanium tweeter you have in your 22s. That tweeter is sweet!

After a serious listening period, I'm going to have to give these a thumbs down. They just don't have any life to them. They do OK on jazz and stuff like Frank Sinatra, but anything else, they really aren't very good. I have to max out the tone controls on every amp I've hooked them up to, and still they don't sing. They sound like there is a pillow in front of them.

I was thinking they would be good enough for my garage, but I guess I'm spoiled by my love for vintage Advents. So a set of Smaller Advents is now in my garage hideout.

Zombie, sorry to hear that. Have you tried running a test tones CD throught them, to see where they are deficient, tonally? Nothing wrong with those Advents, though...

Your '22s are in nice shape, but i don't think they'll bring in big bucks....

No i havent. But I got them for a song, so it's no big deal. Might give them to my son. He listens to garbage anyway. lol

I love the old Advents, especially stacked Large Advents. I have amazed some people I know who have some pretty expensive new age gear. The look on their face when I tell them how much they cost is priceless. then I tell them that they are TWO WAY speakers. LOL

I have a pair. Not bad for what I paid but vinyl cabinets and stamped-frame drivers.

Like I said, not bad . . . for twenty-bucks. Don't know what you were expecting!

The Andrew Jones Pioneers ($59 new including shipping) will put them to shame though.

Like I said, not bad . . . for twenty-bucks. Don't know what you were expecting!

The Andrew Jones Pioneers ($59 new including shipping) will put them to shame though.

I had low expectations. JBL speakers tend to suck anyway.

It's hard to believe that these, with metal dome tweeters, sound muffled compared to ancient Advents. Is a capacitor replacement due?

This is more an answer to all the guys that were commenting on this same little Jbl. I have listed to them side by side with infinity re2000-2001,ATHENA BS-1 5.5 inch. DLK1,NHT1.3 and other. For the first time i was let down by a set of JBL speakers. No these were not DR MAY designed. Buy as 1 gentlman said ,they have no life. I use them as a garage speaker now(i purchased them with a marantz 1060 amp for 100 total. The amp needed service) i have found a lot of the 85-2000 speakers just do not come close to the older designs and 100%american parts. The only thing that was suprising was the power handling. They handle way over 100 watts with no sign of distress.
I was going to modify them wirh a pit for the tweeter to see if i might get some life out of the upper end .but so far decided to keep them original.
Not than samsung owns the compaby and they are in the reissure part of the speaker world i have decided to just leave the conpany alone .one of my buddies who owns a speaker refurbishment company purchase over 100 k in parts as they were movibg all the American warehouse product out the door. Good luck JBL. Hope to see you around in the future.

I have owned a pair of lx44's with the same 027Ti tweeters and don't find them to be lifeless at all. Something else is wrong here wether there is a blown tweeter or a shot capacitor in the crossover. Whatever the case these tweeters are the best aspect of these otherwise affordable
JBL's. The woofers are cheap but still work well in the design. Parts Express charges $160 for these tweeters each.

LX22 uses the 026Ti, not the 027Ti. Regardless, the biggest weakness with these "cheaper" titanium-dome tweeters is really their fragility. They are mostly unprotected (compared to 035Ti, 044Ti, 052Ti, etc, that all have a screen protecting the tweeter). The little strip of plastic that "protects" the tweeter dome becomes very fragile with age to the point where it becomes more of a liability than anything that can actually protect the tweeter. It's very common to see the plastic already broken on used models, along with damage to the tweeter dome. But if your tweeters are still in good condition, they really don't give up much compared to their higher-end Titanium-dome counterparts. The woofer is fine as long as you don't expect it to go too low. These would be a perfect candidate to pair up with a subwoofer using a reasonably high crossover frequency (80-120Hz, and including a high-pass filter for the speakers).

Back
Top Bottom