JBL Model 7510A Mixers - Need some help!

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by Beelzedoug, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Beelzedoug

Beelzedoug New Member

Hello everyone! I know that this is more of a pro audio question, but I've been here at AK for a bit, and I know you guys (and ladies...) are always helpful. In all honesty, I should know this already - I spent a year at the Accessories Counter at Guitar Center. ( aged me 5 years...) Never spent much time in the pro audio department. IMG_1526.JPG IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1528.JPG IMG_1529.JPG

Anyway...

I picked up these two JBL mixers recently. I would like very much to be able to test them before I pass them on to my next happy customer.

My questions:
    1. Both units have XLR outputs. I have an XLR to 1/4" plug cord. Can I plug this into the "instrument in" on a guitar amp? Do I need a PA amp?

2. Both units have an 1/4" "aux input" - what level signal is required? I sent it a line-level signal and had to max out the master gain to get the VU to start moving.

3. Most importantly, is it Cool? That's really all I care about.

Thanks in advance for reading my ramblings. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ivandezande

ivandezande Super Member

1: Yes, yes, no. XLR's are very nice in the fact that they carry balanced audio to cancel out hiss and hum picked up. Using a cable as you mentioned just shorts the inverse output. Heck you can do XLR to RCA. Kinda gross, but it works.....
    2: Kinda hard to see, I would assume it has adjustable gain, so pretty much anything. It is a mixer after all.
    3: Sure? Maybe? I think Urei made the stuff for them. I find it kinda cool personally, but pretty limited use, considering it's basically a straight line mixer with really zero functions besides volume if I'm seeing correctly.

3. Beelzedoug

Beelzedoug New Member

Thank you!! Really appreciate the response. I know that it came from a church, because it had a dymo-tape map stuck to the front, labeled, "Narthex", "Choir" etc... all pointing to one of the volume pots.

I saw a similar one on eBay for $599, but I had a feeling that they were probably deluded.

I think I'll be a good person and donate it to someone who could actually use it. I could use some audiokarma...

Thanks again, ivandezande. You are good people.

d.

ivandezande likes this.
  4. mech986

mech986 Text ↓ optional Posts:>18,000 Subscriber

Specification sheet and brochure

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/7510a.pdf

User and installation manual
    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage JBL-UREI Electronics/UREI-7510A manual.pdf

This unit is an automatic mixer and has user adjustable input sensitivity, threshold on and release controls, and mode switching. Also, input levels are pro levels, some like the aux input are less sensitive and require higher input levels than normal consumer gear, allowing for higher overload levels that would be found with love and electronic instruments and dynamic microphones in live settings. With the above, you should be able to test them. They are actually quite versatile and useful for set and forget type situations where you don't need or want manual or managed control needing a sound person.