JBL Paragon

Before the prodigious task of building, I'd definitely first try find a Paragon and have a listen.

I once thought that I was going to be able to buy a Paragon cheap -- went to an estate sale and the people operating the sale, who I had seen often at other sales mentioned that they were doing a second sale with the bigger contents of the house and there was a large counter type speaker -- they said it was sort of danish looking. Camped out the night before since I'd heard form one of the workers whom I was friendly with that it was listed at hundreds, rather than thousands, only to find the next morning that it had be sold on the net for about two thousand. I accept that its the duty of the sellers to get as much value as possible for the owners, but I felt somewhat cheated -- people go to estate sales assuming that there hasn't been extensive cherry picking, but apparently not, in this case.
In retrospect, probably a good thing I didn't get it -- I didn't actually realise how big it is, and how hard it would be to store it without the involvement of the divorce court.
But it had every single piece of documentation -- all manuals, bill of sale and the like. I saw one small chip in the veneer near the back, otherwise, immaculate. I still feel the occaisional pang...

For all JBL lovers around the world, even in today's economy, it would be a dream come true to own such a prestigious audio item such as this. I'd totally flip out to have such an iconic piece and parked in front of it is where you'd find me 99% of the time! :banana:

I've heard that story too and doubt it's veracity. If JBL really wanted to keep making the things it would've been easy enough for some other people to step up; Steinway has no problem when people retire. ;)

No doubt there are many carpenters who could easily build the things if simply given the drawings, materials and tools.

My guess is that orders were low enough at that point that spending the time and money to train a new craftsman/overseer for the Paragon line would have been a waste of money. Considering the few units sold (~1,000 over the course of 25 years) and the cost of development and materials, even at the Paragon's stratospheric price point, they couldn't have been very profitable.

Well then it's up to the retired cabinet makers to continue the tradition :D.

I've never heard (let alone seen) these monsters but It's hard to imagine that they'd sound bad....based on the blueprint posted above.

If you have the nerve and skills, go for it! Even using modern drivers (with whatever tweaks it takes to get them right) you'll end up with some seriously beautiful speakers.

Wish you the best of luck (err...skill) creating these pieces of art.

Some day I'd like to hear the Paragon.

My guess is that orders were low enough at that point that spending the time and money to train a new craftsman/overseer for the Paragon line would have been a waste of money. Considering the few units sold (~1,000 over the course of 25 years) and the cost of development and materials, even at the Paragon's stratospheric price point, they couldn't have been very profitable.

....or that they started designing better sounding home stereo speakers.
James B Lansing, bless his heart, never made much money even though the speakers with his name on them became $$$world renown$$$.

In 1973 my best friend and his wife split up and he and I became roommates. He had a Paragon his Dad had owned. We moved into a house with a large living room and after listening to the Paragon for a couple of days I unhooked it and used it as a equipment stand for my gear and listened to the Valencias from then on. It was a thing of beauty to look at. Sonically it wasn't that good IMHO. It was easy to drive as I only had a 50 Watt MC-2505 for an amp at the time.

A couple of reasons for JBL dropping it were the cost of the cabinet work and speaker technology had improved enough that design wasn't viable compared to other high end speakers that were available at the time. The story about the one person who made them is partially true. There were no two alike so there were no hard & fast complete plans. The Lansing Heritage Site has the story somewhere. Who knows, maybe I don't remember the story correctly myself. :)

Yeah, I dunno, Tom... those modern Steinways don't throw much of a soundstage; PRaT's not what it used to be, either.

;-)

There's a movie on netflix streaming about building Steinways called "Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037"; very interesting. They have a big jig they bend the body around starting with a 22' long straight piece of wood; big C-clamps, guys pounding wedges into dogs and pulling on come-alongs, like a bunch of boilermakers. ;)

I read an Atlantic article many years ago about the building of Steinways and it said they bent the wood without steaming it first; thus the wood is in a state of tension and that helps give their good sound. The article gave the impression the things are ready to explode.

Here's the article.
http://www.sherwinbeach.com/lenehan/K2571.htm

2nd thought.. Hmm no Ewave project with hornbass yet innit?

yes. :yes:

finishedmonolithLarge.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/169755-what-would-you-do-cabinet.html Thanks again, Zilch!

One thing that most people who have never seen a Paragon in person don't realize is just how BIG one of the beasts really is. They're long and they stick out from the wall quite a way. You need a big room, or the speaker is going to absolutely dominate everything else.

From what I've heard, the smaller Metregon has better sound.

The paragon just doesn't sound that good and unless you have the right decor, it might not work in most rooms, aesthetically.

There's a movie on netflix streaming about building Steinways called "Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037"; very interesting. They have a big jig they bend the body around starting with a 22' long straight piece of wood; big C-clamps, guys pounding wedges into dogs and pulling on come-alongs, like a bunch of boilermakers. ;)

I read an Atlantic article many years ago about the building of Steinways and it said they bent the wood without steaming it first; thus the wood is in a state of tension and that helps give their good sound. The article gave the impression the things are ready to explode.

Here's the article.
Thanks. I love the sound of Steinways; my favorite piano (not that I am an expert by any means).

I have an original Paragon.

15 years ago when I acquired it at a good price, I connected it up in the driveway for a listen. I had heard it in the original owner's home, as well, prior to the purchase.

With appropriate updates and upgrades, it might actually be listenable, but I know better than to mess with it, and thus, it is here as a world-class aesthetic icon in my large (1000 sqft.) living/dining room. To move it safely requires four people hand-carrying each section.

A member over at Lansing Heritage Forum was head of QC at JBL during the final years of Paragon production and tells fabulous tales about them over there. Here on AK, a member acquired one at an estate sale in NJ at a very good price, and there is a thread here relating my advice at the time, which he followed to a letter to resell it for, let's say, a "substantial" handover in cash. If somebody could locate that thread and link it here, I believe it would be of genuine general interest.

With respect to tradmark/copyright issues, JBL sold plans how to build them and expected some would, so, simply not a problem. In Europe, there is a company that custom-builds them for well-healed buyers. It is possible to put together either vintage or updated driver sets for them.

Yes, the curved center panel confers constant-directivity, hallmark of our own EconoWave design performance. Metregon, better-sounding than Paragon, as already noted here, as well....

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
The C44 that I've been hands-on with sold for about $4100 at a local auction (I just ran out of cash, and couldn't convince anyone I knew that I could easily turn it around for a $9k profit), the buyer sold it a few weeks later to a gentleman in Japan for over $14,000. The buyer flew over to personally inspect it and arrange shipment.

Thank you finding that wonderful thread, Dave; I am in tears here re-reading it.

I see my LHF forum pal Super Bee popped in there at the end. The undocumented part of that backstory is that he uses his own beautiful Paragon primarily to listen to Howard Stern daily. :tongue:

With respect to Englissa, we subsequently took it private and had many detailed communications back and forth, ultimately culminating in a successful resale.... :yes:

Last edited:

Here's the article.

Back in KC, my wife and I got to see the movie, hear that very Steinway played LIVE, and even to touch it. I told her to ask to play it, but she declined.

I remember exchanging a couple of emails with englissa, as well. I was very happy for him that he was able to make a quick sale.

Back
Top Bottom