JBL Paragon

Holy Chit! A work of art! Any idea what the winning bid was?
It's gorgeous, looks like it was babied. You said it sounded great, can you describe the sound please and what was playing?

Bidding ends Saturday. There were 2 bids, 7000 and 10000. They were playing jazz thru a newer av receiver. It sounded heavy, muffled to me. To much bass. Im sure the estate people just hooked it up and left the receiver tones however they were. Also no antenna so it was a bad signal. The original JBL paperwork was there also. I was reading it but my wife was ready to move on. I just wanted to stand there, lol.

I have always loved the styling of the Paragon.There was a local fellow who had two of them , however they were in a very small room.

A new JBL Paragon from 1957 and McIntosh gear circa 1957 along with era correct furniture in the living room of my 1956 house would look cool, Daddy-O
Let's not forget the new 1957 Chevy Belair parked in the driveway.

I was around 13 years old in 1957 and walking through the Allied radio store on Western ave. in Chicago when I was blown away by this terrific sound from a Paragon playing a tape of maybe Perez Prado. I have never been the same since. Going on 75 soon and still have the "bug". I have been in love with JBL and audio for a long time.
It all started hearing the "Paragon" as my first real good sounding setup. The best I have been able to attain are a pair of L-100's from 1973.

Reactions: S S
I was around 13 years old in 1957 and walking through the Allied radio store on Western ave. in Chicago when I was blown away by this terrific sound from a Paragon playing a tape of maybe Perez Prado. I have never been the same since. Going on 75 soon and still have the "bug". I have been in love with JBL and audio for a long time.
It all started hearing the "Paragon" as my first real good sounding setup. The best I have been able to attain are a pair of L-100's from 1973.

PDM. I moved to Las Cruces in 1977. One of the audio stores here in town had a Paragon in the show room. Audio Associates, main store in Alamogordo. They were located on the south end of the down town mall.

The gentleman who owned the Las Cruces paragon wanted 30 grand originally at Audio karma.

I go to lunch on Fridays with some of my past fellow workers. One of them was the manager of the local Audio Associates. I seem to remember a price on that Paragon then. I'll ask him if he remembers the price.

My recollection was that the Paragon was the most spectacular MCM statement speaker of it's time, but not the best speaker system re actual performance.

I listened to them then. They were not in a setting for good sound. Did not sound as good as the 4333s we had when I worked for The A/V department at NMSU.

There was a program on 50's TV program that visited celebrities from every genre. Once they visited a 40's-50's singer named Dinah Shore. They walked through her home with kids and her hubby. One room they came to had a Paragon on one wall. She claimed the room was her music room and described her music projects. Nothing was said about the Paragon.
Once the same show visited the home of Andy Williams. They did the typical walk through. One room had a Paragon but nothing was said about it. Another room had a Paragon and that was Andy Williams listening room. He listened to his pre release recordings. Funny, they never mention the other equipment but you gotta guess there were amps and tape equipment of considerable quality ($$$) in the setups.

Back
Top Bottom