JBL re-introducing the L-100

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by jberger, Jan 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MoreBeer

MoreBeer Money + Money =More Money

I saw your pic on Sterophile...here's another. They look like a cheap, mass produced box to me. I think they're being made in China.

[​IMG]

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

Funny. I don't notice any of that with the grills on.

Regards
    Mister Pig

3. Mister Pig

Well my $21K MSRP JBL 4365 were made in Mexico. They still sound damn fine. Of course they were never made for the American market, and were first sold in Japan and Europe. Only at the end of their product cycle were the 4365 available in the US through Synthesis dealers, and by then the price had come down to $15K a pair.

Personally I find nothing cheap looking about that speaker, although I am not fond of white cones. But my interest is in their sound quality. They look just fine if they can capture my heart with the music they reproduce.

Regards
    Mister Pig

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    stish, ictwoody, Alobar and 1 other person like this.
  4. savatage1973

savatage1973 Super Member

Yeah--I'm a little disappointed with that grill-off shot as well, but if they sound good, I'd still have them. Park them in the same room with my original L100s and leave the grills on and let people figure out which is which :)

BTW--I LOVE white woofers--probably one of the most "copied" JBL signature characteristics. I won't even buy a re-coned JBL woofer, since the later kits supplied had charcoal/black cones as replacements. I'll wait and pay more money for used white originals.

5. savatage1973

savatage1973 Super Member

I still don't get the grousing over "what if they are just a re-make of the original L100 with all of its flaws?"--which clearly they are not, from the photos. "Modern" Klipsch Heritage series speakers are NOT light years ahead of the originals from the early 70's, but they are still in production and command serious $$$$. IME, the brand new Heresey III sounds just as awful as a 1974 Heresey--a big box with no bass and a "honky" midrange--with one more zero added to the price tag--go figure. :idea:

6. donprice

donprice Wound up workin' at a gas station.... Subscriber

I'm not a violent person but I think the guy responsible for including "classic" on the foilcal deserves to be beaten with a large cast-frame driver:whip:

L100C would have been my choice.

7. johnlcnm

johnlcnm Member

Interesting comparison. Is the L100 Classic just a makeover of the 70th. Anniversary from last year? JBL-4312SE-Studio-Monitors.jpg L100 Classic.jpg

8. MoreBeer

MoreBeer Money + Money =More Money

Okay...this has been beaten to death, and I joined in on the fun as well. LOL! Move one....nothing else to see here. Time to bash some other new product.

9. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

If they sound like some of the newer JBL offerings, I’d be thrilled. I’ll head to the Harmon store in midtown when they show up and give them a listen.

Alobar likes this.

10. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

This is fun. Start another thread.

Alobar likes this.
  11. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet

DAMN YOU JBL !!!!

tenor.gif

Just kidding (JBL fan here)

Ds2000 and Alobar like this.
  12. johnlcnm

johnlcnm Member

OK, OK. As in the days of the past: 4311 and L100.

13. donprice

donprice Wound up workin' at a gas station.... Subscriber

An updated version of the Pioneer HPM 100 or Bose 901 would be perfect :beerchug:

14. crazy-in-az

crazy-in-az All humans are vermin... Subscriber

Absolutely not! Notice how the L100 has flared port tubes?:D

Alobar likes this.
  15. Mister Pig

Move one? Why? Is there something under it? Is this where my missing truffle is? Do you think someone would actually set a speaker on a poor pigs prized truffle? You know I think they would! Bastards! Would you mind holding that speaker up a few inches for me?

Regards
    Mister Pig

stish likes this.
  16. toddalin

toddalin Super Member

What's up with the tweeter? What's it gonna be?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 314carpenter

314carpenter AK Subscriber Subscriber

At least they picked the engineer of the L100t3 to design it. Could be worthy of an A/B to my 2 pair. The T3 crossover is what makes them so good. Hopefully Chris Hagen put a significant portion of the budget there.

If I were to sell my (4) L100t3's to fund a new pair of Classics, I would have enough for about 1/2 of 1 speaker.

18. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

19. WaynerN

WaynerN AK Subscriber Subscriber

I find this statement very offensive. I have 3 sets of JBLs that are made in China, and they are very high quality and sound better then many of my vintage speakers. I have the Studio 230, Studio 530 and the Studio 580 speakers. Very fine machines (no walnut cabinets).

windsor202, stish and Alobar like this.
  20. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

While I may have certain political reservations about China made products taking over everyone's job, their quality, if that is what the manufacturer is desiring is world class. I'm not talking about cracker Jack prizes here but products like my new Samson S8 note that likely was largely produced in over there. To say that production in China is all junk is very short sided. Same with Mexico, and a host of other emerging countries.

JBL mostly shut down USA manufacturing years ago, a sad fact but probably one that saved itself from a complete shutdown in the face of a slew of new speaker mfg's who has come up the ranks in the last few decades. Personally as a JBL fanboy i am just glad that they are still in business and further I think this new L100 will be a great way to reconnect with it's legacy past. I suspect the price will fall some but not by more than 30% or so.