JBL re-introducing the L-100

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by jberger, Jan 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wu6fiend

wu6fiend Well-Known Member

I've been watching the L100 market for a while now, and I'd like to pick up a nice pair (and I mean nice, all original and well cared for), not some beat all to heck, left out in the weather junkers. I'm curious regarding the new L100s, as they seem to be L100s in name only (cabinets aren't even the same size, albeit they are close), and the components have changed (understandably modernized). I would not pay the MSRP on them, but if the price was negotiable, I could be talked into it. Curious to know where these new L100s will be sold, via Synthesis dealerships, perhaps? They will be hard to/near impossible to find in Canada, of that I am nearly certain.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

wu6fiend likes this.
  3. wu6fiend

Thanks for the link. I have contacted them, and hopefully there will be some place in the Lower Mainland of B.C. where I can go and audition them. If I have to go to the States, and listen to them at a Synthesis dealer, I'm prepared to do so, but the dollar exchange (ours is at about .80 cents right now) is not in my favour.

4. Finnetric

Finnetric AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just stopped by The Harman Store (54th & 5th Ave) in NYC and the sales rep couldn’t tell me when the hard release date is, just that it could set off a wave of excitement and move markets if he did in fact have the release date, but to no avail. There is quite a secrecy around the release of the L100, but the $4K price was confirmed. I always loved the Maxwell print ad that made these speakers uber famous. Good luck fellow AKers if you decide to drop the coin to own these contemporary beauties.

zebra03 likes this.
  5. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't remember seeing JBLs in a coffee ad?? o_O

They're going to have a long way to go to convince me these are worth $4,000.00.

6. Finnetric

You mean the JBL L100s featured in this infamous Maxwell ad...

Attached Files:

zebra03 likes this.

7. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

Dumb me , I never even looked at the speakers . Thanks

8. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

I know the ad well. I was a JBL owner way before it came out. My point was it was a Maxell (Tape) ad—not Maxwell (House Coffee).

And now you've written it twice! :rflmao:

nedseg and Finnetric like this.
  9. Finnetric

Hahahaaa this gave me a good laugh! Yes you are correct—Maxell not the coffee!

10. fernarias

fernarias Super Member

11. wu6fiend

I heard back from the Canadian distributor (Erickson Consumer), and while they cannot say for certain when the L100 will arrive in Canada (they just say fall 2018), and they cannot tell me which stores in B.C. will sell this speaker, they confirm the price in Canada will be around $5000 Canadian (no firm pricing yet). I will be very interested to audition this speaker in person, and see how it compares to its iconic namesake.

12. johnlcnm

johnlcnm Member

It will be interesting to compare to the original L100. Wu6, let us know your thoughts when and if these folks ever come up with the new L100s. Maybe they will invest in a pair of originals for a comparison. That would be a very cool thing! Nobody at my local would even know what a JBL L100 is or was. Well, except frequenters of Audiokarma and Lansing Heritage of course.

13. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

Here's the proper JBL site: http://www.jblsynthesis.com/product...syn-products/type/bookshelf-loudspeakers.html

14. z-adamson

z-adamson AK Subscriber Subscriber

You also say that two 8in woofers has more area than a single 12in woofer.

So.....

15. wu6fiend

Well, I will be personally able to give you an "Original L100 vs. New L100" comparison, as this evening I purchased a very nice pair of L100 Centuries, locally to me. It would be fun to take them to the retailer, and do a listening test, switching back forth from original to new.

16. johnlcnm

johnlcnm Member

Cool. I think this will be a popular event here on The Lansing Legacy. Can't wait!!

17. qguy

qguy Super Member

I would be more interesting if the L100 Classic would be compared to the L112

18. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

That's a reasonable comparison, aside from the difference in age.

I listened to the L100 @ CES in January and am also an L112 owner... if I was ranking these personally, the original L100 would come in last, no question. Not sure yet whether the new L100 comes out on top of the L112, though I am sure it is designed to do exactly that and has a substantial advantage in the available materials for driver parts etc. vs. what JBL had in the late '70s. The only reason I can't say that it's a sure winner in that 3 horse race is that I had very brief exposure to it vs. years of familiarity with the L112, and the L112 has widespread accolades over the years suggesting it's not a one trick pony but appeals to a lot of different ears. Too soon to know if that's going to be the case for the new L100.

I do think the L112 would come in 2nd to the new L100 for bass performance, if nothing else. That part was pretty obvious even in the short audition but you'd still want to have a chance to run some different music through them to evaluate speed, musicality, timber etc. and not just "whoa, that has some authority down low" which was my initial reaction.

John

19. qguy

qguy Super Member

Does the L100 classic have a published frequency response ?

20. exhippy

exhippy I use to have long hair. Now I'm lucky to have any Subscriber

Maxell probably bought the rights from this guy. Then chopped-off the bottom portion of the original.

IMG_1383.JPG
    Don't know why I was so shaky on that pic? I swear, I haven't had a drink in three weeks!...maybe that's the problem?

IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG

Shopping at the local mall back in the late 70s and saw the poster. Considering I'd just bought a pair of L100a's the year before I knew exactly what speaker that was. Had to have it! Had it glued to a board and framed.

S S likes this.