JBL re-introducing the L-100

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by jberger, Jan 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 911s55

911s55 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ahh, tape hiss through L-100's. Nostalgia!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Finnetric

Finnetric AK Subscriber Subscriber

Confirmed from JBL Synthesis via Instagram that they moved the US Market release date to Summer 2018, not Spring as originally advertised.

3. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a large discounted price on these new L-100s. My guess is they will be quite popular with the buying public, thus JBL won’t need to lower the price.

4. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I think they will be popular for nostalgia, not with actual audiophiles. They will be also popular in Asia where older JBL's have a cult following. The original was a terrible speaker as JBL had many others that were amazing (4335).

5. exhippy

exhippy I use to have long hair. Now I'm lucky to have any Subscriber

What the hell does the 'original L100' have to do with this new one? What, the new one has some funky foam grill? Gezz, even on a JBL forum the haters can't keep from bashing the original.

Alobar and SaturationPt like this.
  6. wu6fiend

wu6fiend Active Member

The foam grill, and the white woofer. Aside from that, the new one and the original appear to share nothing else in common.

All the L100 hate is boring, and tiresome. The best selling speaker of the 1970s, and JBL's all time best seller. And still commanding very strong prices on the used market. But they were always a rotten speaker, right? No. I'm quite pleased with my well preserved pair, and plan to keep them around. There's no way I can justify the cost of the new ones anyway.

7. exhippy

Agreed, just let'n-off some steam. As you note, it does get tiresome. I'll bet a frosty 24 pack 90% of these people that bash have never heard the speaker. There're just jumping on the band wagon, but they'd never admit it. After all, it's the internet.
    I get the biggest kick when people want to compare the L100 to certain Pro JBL with what are obviously better drivers/crossovers. Kind of like a 'no sh** Sherlock moment'

8. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Count me in that 10%. I heard them when they first came out when i owned JBL 030s, and I own a pair now, along with over a dozen other JBL systems.

9. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Regardless of how the L100 sounds, next to the Yamaha NS-690 series, the 100 was the best looking vintage 12" 3-way speaker.
    [​IMG]

10. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

JBL didn't make the original L100 the way it is because they didn't know better, or didn't have the materials/resources/whatever. It sounds the way it does because it was designed that way. The goal wasn't a flat responding "audiophile" speaker system. It was a consumer repackage of a monitor that was specifically designed to get the business of those who would otherwise be buying Altec 604s.

You can probably bet that the re-release won't have that goal in mind.

11. exhippy

Is this your own opinion or have you read this from JBL? Are you a former dealer from that era?
    Do you mean the 604-8G. Produced from 1973 - 1979. The original 604 was introduced in 1944. No big deal, I understand what speaker group your talking about.

12. tarior

zebra03 and johnlcnm like this.
  13. exhippy

14. tarior

Happy to be helpful. It's some really great history.

15. Jbl Joe

Jbl Joe Active Member

fredgarvin likes this.
  16. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I heard them at AXPONA, save your sheckels for some speakers that sound good.

17. Jbl Joe

Jbl Joe Active Member

According to my sources at JBL they will not be available for purchase until fall at the earliest due to production problems. I think l will stick with my 4435 and 4450.

18. exhippy

1. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but let's not forget what the definition of 'subjective' is.

2. Once again comparing apples and oranges and speakers that are above the supposed msrp of the new L100. Why not spend almost 10k like I did? (I can think of a hundred reasons.)

19. Jbl Joe

Jbl Joe Active Member

Your right. I worked for JBL for 25 years outfitting recording studios .Sold plenty of 43 and 44 series monitors. All my speakers were free to me...perk. Aside the 4429 anniversary monitor is way better sounding than the new L100 for only $1,000 pair more. Over the lenght of time one will likely own them it's practically pennies a day.

20. tarior

I'd like to lay hands on some of the new (post 2002) large format monitors, though I understand that they are voiced for the Japanese market, and thus a little bass-shy. I've got a couple of 4645s floatin' around here somewhere.