JBL re-introducing the L-100

Hopefully, the crossover frequency to tweeter will keep the midrange driver within its optimal range this time for consistent directivity.

$4000 is a crazy land number. The L100's I'm listening to right now cost me $25. However, it does make me feel good that they have such a high value.

Yeh. I'd like to see a picture with the grill off. Four grand is probably list. I'm sure they will get discounted, say $2200?

Many people thought the L100's flaws were fixed by later models. New L100 is likely alike original in name and looks only. IMO, been thirty since I've heard one.

Edit: I've seen quite a few new JBL high end speakers that look interesting, if I had budget. I don't see, personnally, draw of this particular model. Foam grill?

Last edited:
Many people thought the L100's flaws were fixed by later models. New L100 is likely alike original in name and looks only. IMO, been thirty since I've heard one.

Thank you. WE have the correct answer. A lot of knowledge has been obtained since the introduction of the L100 speakers with its simple 6db per octave slope. The cross-over in my (new to me) Studio 530s is somewhat mind boggling, but came from the brilliant mind of Greg Timbers.

I have no doubt that the drivers, cross-over and over-all construction of the new L100s is absolutely nothing like the originals (except for maybe the walnut veneer).

Fortunately with Floyd Toole's guidance, the overt sins with the L100 were corrected in the LSR6332. Expecting a five inch midrange to deliver the same directivity reproducing two inch wavelengths as the dome tweeter that follows was a pipe dream.

The 6332 keeps the midrange in its optimum range handing over to the tweeter a full octave below its predecessors to avoid the "fun house mirror" imaging.

Last edited:
I'm glad they had the white woofers back!, always loved those!. I hope the foam grills will last longer then the 70's L-100's!

I can't justify $4K for a new pair, when really nice originals are in the $800-$1000 range, regularly, and will likely hold that value (or appreciate). The L100 has long been one of my Holy Grails, and I will buy a pair, one day. Just not one of the new ones, at that price.

I can't justify $4K for a new pair, when really nice originals are in the $800-$1000 range, regularly, and will likely hold that value (or appreciate)...

I assume the new speaker will be the much better speaker, at least objectively. I think the quality of a speaker’s sound is a better indication of its quality and desirability than what it’s worth used.

4k is not unreasonable, if they really sound good. They look the part for sure- really shag pile excellent.

I got rid of my Century L100s 14 years ago- they were putrid alongside speakers from the early 2000s. I can't imagine how bad they'd sound now.

But, I'd love to hear a pair of the new ones. :)

Back
Top Bottom