JBL re-introducing the L-100

I remember those Frankenspeakers! Dude named Bruce in Ben Lomond or thereabouts made them from some innocent 240Tis and XPL series. Tried for years to sell them, as “250Ti killers,” for some insane price. (They could sound amazing for all I know, but I had zero interest. I always thought they looked poorly Photoshopped.)
When l worked for Harman and Jbl and before that Altec Lansing Soundcraftsman and SAE and Sansui amps were used to voice the passive 43 and 44 series as well as the Altec 14 and 15 and 19

When l worked for Harman and Jbl . . . Soundcraftsman and SAE and Sansui amps were used to voice the passive 43 and 44 series . . .
What??? No Crown? And, for posterity and those searching this site, allow me to correctly identify Soundcraftsmen. I've owned and used their equipment since around 1973 and would love to see what they'd be producing today had they survived. Always "Made in USA" before MTX took them over under a "catch-and-kill" acquisiiton.

Are you still working in the Audio Industry ?

When l worked for Harman and Jbl and before that Altec Lansing Soundcraftsman and SAE and Sansui amps were used to voice the passive 43 and 44 series as well as the Altec 14 and 15 and 19

What??? No Crown? And, for posterity and those searching this site, allow me to correctly identify Soundcraftsmen. I've owned and used their equipment since around 1973 and would love to see what they'd be producing today had they survived. Always "Made in USA" before MTX took them over under a "catch-and-kill" acquisiiton.
Not that knew of...not Crown. But possible. Sorry for the misspell. Hit the wrong letter on this phone. I remember running down to Soundcraftsmen and bring amps back to the "garage". This was a large indoor metal building where Floyd and his team would build and test speakers outside of management view. Sort of Jbl's skynkworks

Sorry again for the misspell .Skunkworks is what l meant. Yes there are many now defunct manufacturers whose stuff we'd like to hear if they survived. One that comes to mind is GAS. Jim Bongiorno. RIP both.

The 43 and 44 series monitors responded best to amps with moderate power and damping and the bottom end tended to thin out when using high power, high damping factor brutes like a Crown DC300. Don't forget these were mostly driven by recording console amplification. The larger Altecs, like the Model 19 for instance sounded heavy and under damped with moderate power and damping amps. Altecs love high damping factors.

Not yet available from Harman. They have a display pair for listening at the Harman store but they are 85% of what the finished product will be.
Spoke with designers Chris and Tim in Northridge....be patient. Anyone looking for L 100 performance on the cheap check out Kralk Audio TDB12. Heard this speakers. Great buy.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he was talking about the Kralk Audio speakers he mentioned. Which, tbh, do look interesting. I'd love to see independent measurements on them.
Heard the Kralk..TBD 12. Sounded promising....nice extended bass....very impactful midbass....slight British midrange suck out....could use better tweeter....but for the price...very impressive

How they compare to the JBL 4312E or even 4312SE? What drivers are in them?
The L 100 thats on display at the Harman store is about 70% of what the finished product will be according to the designers. The 4312SE is set up quite badly. The set does them no justice. From my speaking with my former co workers at JBL they are exact to the older 4312. So they should sound awesome. According to the same designers the new L 100 Classic should blow the 4312 away. But being a former JBL sales exec for pro sound I always took the 4311 or 4312 over the L 100 which was derived from the 4310

Back
Top Bottom