JBL re-introducing the L-100

Since I worked for JBL for 25 years outfitting recording studios I am Still ggod friends Chris Hagan who designed the new L 100. I have a comp pair on the way from Northridge. I am assured they are outstanding.
Can't wait to hear your impression Joe .

From what I heard of them at the Harman store in NYC I was terribly dissapointed to say the least. Then Chris assured me that the pair they had was for visual demo only and only 50% complete as a total finished design. The one's I heard in california simply blew me away. Worlds better than the original....can't wait ti get them. Waiting on a pair of older 4410's by kendrick sound

There's new 4312G coming soon, curious to know more and compare it with the L100 reissue. Good thing they removed the large JBL logo on the sides. If only there was a walnut option.

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/id-4312g.html

4312g_1-c5b0a73e.jpg

No comparison at all....the L 100 is far superior IMO.....The JBL Logo is still there...at least on the ones I have seen

Was an SE. I recently heard the 4429 driven by Levinson monoblocks. Sounded very much like K2 9800's. Very impressive

Was an SE. I recently heard the 4429 driven by Levinson monoblocks. Sounded very much like K2 9800's. Very impressive
Yep. 4429s are sleepers in the JBL lineup. You want reference, stunning detail, mids, voices, lows, brass that sounds like brass.

Yep. 4429s are sleepers in the JBL lineup. You want reference, stunning detail, mids, voices, lows, brass that sounds like brass.
Amen...well worth the $1000 premium over the L 100. But then again the studio monitors are what l sold for JBL. The pro models were always no compromise models. Dead accurate. Fools thought them to be bright. But what they were hearing was true flat response. Not hi fi speaker dips and valleys and that damn BBC midrange suck out. Just listen to Tannoys

Can't get my self to read 25 pages of comments, all I have to say is that $4000 is probably a reasonable price for the improved design and engineering, over a product that was hard to beat to start from. Really good speakers today go for $5,000-$10,000. And, these are probably really good. I have the funds but I'm cheap at the same time, what a conundrum! I'm one of those dooods that goes to 5 thrift stores in a day and then tops that off with going to Wholefoods for groceries. Who am I? I'm confused.

Can't get my self to read 25 pages of comments, all I have to say is that $4000 is probably a reasonable price for the improved design and engineering, over a product that was hard to beat to start from. Really good speakers today go for $5,000-$10,000. And, these are probably really good. I have the funds but I'm cheap at the same time, what a conundrum! I'm one of those dooods that goes to 5 thrift stores in a day and then tops that off with going to Wholefoods for groceries. Who am I? I'm confused.

Sounds like the kind of guy who'd drive a Mercedes, ... diesel.

Do yourseif a favor and go hear the 2 side by side. I worked with both Floyd Toole and Chris Hagen for years at JBL. The 4429 is faaar superior to the L 100. Judge for yourself.

Sounds like the kind of guy who'd drive a Mercedes, ... diesel.

I drive a wrecked 1999 Toyota Prerunner I bought new, first new vehicle I ever bought, never had a credit card. My philosophy is that even if you do have some $, it's best to look like you don't, then people leave you alone. I got talked into borrowing $2000 from my dad back in the 80s when he wanted to sell me his 1982 RX7. I felt like I was enslaved so I didn't borrow money again, I've never made a whole of $ either. That truck just keeps on going.

Do yourseif a favor and go hear the 2 side by side. I worked with both Floyd Toole and Chris Hagen for years at JBL. The 4429 is faaar superior to the L 100. Judge for yourself.
I've never heard the 4429, are you confident it would beat the new L100s?

Absolutely. The 4429 uses a better woofer and compression drivers for the mids and highs. IMO they sound much more dynamic and linear than the L 100. When I heard them side by side driven by the same Levinson monoblocks, JBL removed the 4429 from the room at CES because the 4429 was garnering all the attention. Enough said.

Absolutely. The 4429 uses a better woofer and compression drivers for the mids and highs. IMO they sound much more dynamic and linear than the L 100. When I heard them side by side driven by the same Levinson monoblocks, JBL removed the 4429 from the room at CES because the 4429 was garnering all the attention. Enough said.

OK, that's good info, don't tell anybody. JBL not happy with jbl Joe right now, in promoting the new L100 anyway. But I guess it's a win-win situation anyway for them.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 3507D76F-78CD-4CD7-9945-3EA1A42FF414.jpeg
    3507D76F-78CD-4CD7-9945-3EA1A42FF414.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 4D2644F6-678B-49A7-A2C4-A258137296FD.jpeg
    4D2644F6-678B-49A7-A2C4-A258137296FD.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 38
I was lucky to find a very nice pair of 4312a’s in walnut. Great sounding speakers! I do have the grills that are in excellent condition.
You have them paired with the Yamaha A-S 701? Curious to know how the new 4312 match with the new Yamaha amps.

I think they make a great pairing. Very accurate lows, smooth mid-range and the 701 has a laid back high end that works well with the ti dome tweets. Occasionally I will use my Boston Acoustics PV1000 sub, depending on the music. It just rounds out the lower octaves especially when using “Pure Direct/CD Direct” mode.

Back
Top Bottom