JBL re-introducing the L-100

I drive my 19's with BGW monoblocks and a Sansui CA 3000 pre amp. Linn LP 12, Rega RB 600 Koetsu Cart. Audio Technica AT LP7 with Grado Gold 8mz stylus. John Curl Phono Pre....not a Parasound. Also have Tekton Double Impacts which are fantastic speakers.

I like the Big Mac's on the shelf behind the speakers. Plenty of juice for just about anything :)

jblnut

I’ve had a pair of the L100’s for a little over 4 months now. I can say that in all of my 30 years of chasing speakers that wow me, these are it. I have a review (non professional) on the music direct web site. I could care less if they’re not a sanctioned “high end” brand or what not. In my honest opinion, 4K is a bargain compared to what other “high end” speakers sell for. I’ve had the following. Gallo, Magnapan, ProAc, totem, audio physic Virgo, usher, elac, Thiel, golden ear and the list goes on. In my listening room, these are a vessel into the recording studio or live event. The first day we got them, my wife came home from work and I played them for her, she just started laughing. They sounded so good to her she just stated laughing and smiling. We ended up listening to them all night. This past weekend we were out listening to live music. We left early because both of us wanted to get home to listen to the new JBL’s. I don’t care what the price tag, heritage, name on the front says, no speaker has been this enjoyable to listen to. On Saturday I put on joy division unknown pleasures. I love the album, but never listen to it because I think the recording isn’t all that great. I can say it was like I was sitting in the recording studio with them. This is not a speaker that you have to explain to people why it sounds good, or what to listen for. I recently heard a pair of Uber expensive focal and to of the line paradigms. I’d take these over those, any day

Quite an endorsement. Glad to hear that you like them. What does the rest of your system consist of?

Welcome to AK!

Quite an endorsement. Glad to hear that you like them. What does the rest of your system consist of?

Welcome to AK!
Thanks! I have then hooked up to an Adcom 555 II with an NAD M3 as the pre amp. The source is a rega p3 and Cambridge CNX streamer. IMHO they’re worth every bit of 4k.

Nice system. I've always been an "East Coast speaker" kinda guy but hope to hear a pair of the new L-100s someday.

Thanks! I just came across them by chance. I really knew nothing of the history since most of my audio purchases started in the late 80’s

Hoping to hear these at Axpona next week. I read Andrew Robinson's (much too long) review in Home Theater Review and watched his Youtube video (zzzzzzz) in the prior post. I want to like these speakers because of their retro mid-century-modern design vibe. That he compares them favorably to Harbeths (I have C7ES3s) and Devores makes them intriguing to me.

Hoping to hear these at Axpona next week. I read Andrew Robinson's (much too long) review in Home Theater Review and watched his Youtube video (zzzzzzz) in the prior post. I want to like these speakers because of their retro mid-century-modern design vibe. That he compares them favorably to Harbeths (I have C7ES3s) and Devores makes them intriguing to me.
I actually thought the review and video were done really well.

In that video review that Zonker linked above they guy felt they lacked bottom end, especially for a 12" woofer. If that's the case, I'd be disappointed too.

In that video review that Zonker linked above they guy felt they lacked bottom end, especially for a 12" woofer. If that's the case, I'd be disappointed too.
I doubt the low end is any better on the Devore or Harbeth. I’ll say they have the best low end of any speaker I’ve had to date.

40Hz-40kHz -6dB is better than many bookshelf size speakers and some subs don't do much better. For $5k you will have to decide for yourself though, a fair number of speakers available in that range.

Back
Top Bottom