JBL re-introducing the L-100

Only the modern remake of the vintage 25in TV should cost $6000.

They were still making very large CRT televisions in 2005 as 33" and 35" models were in Best Buy and Costco. These substantially larger CRT televisions were all under $1,000. Some of them $600 or so. So there goes the $6,000 remake theory out the window.

You see....this is what you call Internet Forum Mentality. Nobody can ever win on forums. LMAO!

Since my involvement in this hobby is completely about fun, I have to say that this offer from JBL is a great gift. I love old JBL's, and yes, the L100's, and I can't wait to watch what happens with this new product. And, wouldn't it be funny if the marketing team came up with the msrp by doing the inflation calculator like everyone here did? Bottom line is they make a first run production of, how many, say 100,000 pair? Who knows. If no one buys them for a year or more I'll be first in line with $800 in my cheap hand to grab a set. Watch this, they may sell like hot cakes in Japan.

Reactions: S S
But we are missing the most important part!

"Connections are made via a pair of gold-plated binding post terminals located on the rear-panel."

No more infuriating JBL push button speaker wire grippy things!!!

What ever happened to the gold anniversary edition of the L100? Did it sell? It didn't look like the original.

In 1975, I bought a pair of replacement L100 front grilles (foam and wood frame) for $25 each to retrofit onto my 4311B's. The guy on ebay selling repro foam grilles has slowly raised his price from about $125 to $200. When he gets wind of this new model, I'll hate to think what his prices will be.

Since my involvement in this hobby is completely about fun, I have to say that this offer from JBL is a great gift. I love old JBL's, and yes, the L100's, and I can't wait to watch what happens with this new product. And, wouldn't it be funny if the marketing team came up with the msrp by doing the inflation calculator like everyone here did? Bottom line is they make a first run production of, how many, say 100,000 pair? Who knows. If no one buys them for a year or more I'll be first in line with $800 in my cheap hand to grab a set. Watch this, they may sell like hot cakes in Japan.

I do not think they will make 100k units. I have been on the JBL website lots of times and they frequently run out of inventory, which suggests 2 things. First is that they are having meaningful sales and secondly, run small batches at frequent intervals to keep their manufacturing inventory low. (more of the "just in time" manufacturing techniques).

Wayner

4k? Well you have start some where. I think these are for the Japanese market. JBL status has a price. I would love to know where they're made? The L100t had verneer peel off after a few years or just after warranty ended.
Hope they fix that...The people that have deposable money will no problem with price...I'll be here drinking my Evan Williams

They were still making very large CRT televisions in 2005 as 33" and 35" models were in Best Buy and Costco. These substantially larger CRT televisions were all under $1,000. Some of them $600 or so. So there goes the $6,000 remake theory out the window.

You see....this is what you call Internet Forum Mentality. Nobody can ever win on forums. LMAO!
But if today a manufacturer of a classic, iconic tv of the early 70s were to put THAT tv back in production, $6000 sounds like what folks who are into that hobby would pay.

Does the guy who said JBL will possibly make 100,000 units (50,000 pair) realize that at $4,000/pair, this would equate to $200 Million in sales? This is a small market product here bud.

Last edited:
New L100's, oh no, what am I supposed to do with all of my L100T3's from 1992? Actually I found about this happening a few months ago, and was disappointed to find out they were making them to sound a lot more like the original L100 and a lot less like an actual modern $2000. JBL is just trying to do here what Klipsch started with their heritage branding. Now if they could figure out that a redo of a 4430 or 250ti or similar would actually sound $2000 each, maybe they could sell 1xx,xxx. Until then I will keep buying used usa built JBL's from the 90'S.:rockon:

I just did a quick google search and the only information about these new L100’s comes from the business wire article and this thread.
If I were running a business, I would be a little concerned about the lack advertising and info out there.
If people don’t know or are unaware that JBL ( any company for that matter ) are releasing a new product, then how are they going to sell the product in any great quantity?

Case in point, if it wasn’t for WaynerN then people on this site wouldn’t know much about the studio 230 and 530 speakers that JBL ceased manufacturing.

End of line....

"LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--HARMAN International, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd."

This is the part that is the problem for me. If they are going to be manufactured in the USA, then $4k is probably an OK price. If they are going to be made in China, or elsewhere in the Far East, it smacks of just jacking the price up because of the JBL name. Because you know, they could make these in China for less than $500.

Lee.

Quoting myself here, if they are going to be made in the USA, then $4000 might be an OK price, I personally won't be buying them. But if they are made in China, then pass on some of the savings to the consumer.

It's kind of like my car, I have a Ford Focus. 2010, it cost $15k. Rumor has it that Ford are going to start producing them in China and selling them here. If they are like half price, $7-8k then sure, I would buy another one. But I'm not buying one made in China at the same, similar, or inflation adjusted price just so the parent company can get rich by paying their workers $1 a day instead of union wages.

Personally, I am excited. I welcome the rewind and even though $4K is not chump change for me; if I really wanted them with a little perseverance and a lot of top romen, I could probably swing it. Hell, my first Sansui amp and tuner cost me an entire summer of washing dishes at minimum wage. FWIW the minimum wage in Washington will soon be at $13/hr. I like the idea of a little struggle and sacrifice to acquire gear. As much as I love the stories of unbelievable GW scores, I would rather plan, save and buy the gear I specifically pick out. My next speaker purchase will likely be twice what the L100's are selling for ... it might take 2-3 years to save the money but I know where I am going with my system. Can't wait to read the first post of the proud AK owner who snags a pair! Could it be that all those hipsters who are buying vinyl now want better sound? History repeats itself? Companies like Samsung and Panasonic don't go through the design and manufacturing process to please a tiny segment of the market. I'm guessing someone sees future growth in HiFi which is cause for celebration.

Based on most of the posts on this thread, it is apparent that most of those posting haven't shopped for new speakers lately. $4k isn't even close to being on the high end of pricing.

I'd have to listen to them first, but I'd drop $4K (or something close to that for a pair), if for nothing else other than "modern nostalgia". I have original L100's and (as I mentioned before in an earlier post) the original sales receipt for almost $625 (discounted price) from Dec 1977, and $625 was a fair amount of money in '77, but $4K is basically "chump change" in 2018. Read the fine print on lease ads for cars--you basically need $4K to initiate the lease. Banks will laugh at you if you want to buy a home and tell them you have $4K saved up as a downpayment. Hell, people stood in line to pay $1K for a new iPhone that they didn't even need/want--just because.

High end speakers (and new L100's don't qualify) are 10X the entrance price of these, and I find most of them aesthetically "fugly" and wouldn't have them in my home if you gave them to me--regardless of how "amazing" they sounded. Gimme a new "classic".

Based on most of the posts on this thread, it is apparent that most of those posting haven't shopped for new speakers lately. $4k isn't even close to being on the high end of pricing.
This site is largely about finding and restoring the nicer audio gear that was made a long time ago. That may not be what grumpy wanted or intended for this site to be about, but that is for the most part what the crowd here consists of, in my observation. That is why virtually nobody here, myself included, is up on todays offerings in the arena of speakers.

According to grumpy...

"Do you think AK is about vintage and cheap? If you do then you have the wrong web site. Its about a community who appreciates all audio and music."

Good idea, but the VAST majority as far as I can tell AND myself included, are all about vintage.

Last edited:
Many a grasping, parsimonious skinflint around here talks more about money than sound; knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
This is true. But at the risk of value chatting,,,This tickles the shit out of me. I have two pair of L100 centurys and a pair of L88 ready to be converted. I know it's greedy but I like 'em and now this is just driving the value of mine up.:banana:

Back
Top Bottom