1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

JBL re-introducing the L-100

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by jberger, Jan 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NoTransistors

NoTransistors Dual Turntables Super-Restorer Subscriber

Oh, you are so right. Two years ago, I was thrilled to find a North American current Quad valve phono preamp. Very well hidden somewhere inside the unit was a sticker stating 'Made In China'.
    I returned it for a refund. Twelve hundred dollars for anything made there is offensive.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 314carpenter

314carpenter AK Subscriber Subscriber

I know that Klipsch dealer prices are exactly 1/2 of the MSRP. So if the same holds true here, you are looking at a nice profit and might want to get these in your store. So if they can sell them to dealers for $1000 each, then they can manufacture them for hhmmmm????

Alobar likes this.
  3. Stefus_Prime

Stefus_Prime Member

The cool aesthetics : price ratio doesn't ever seem to be in my favor, guess I'll stick to my big black boxes for now.

4. slow_jazz

slow_jazz AK Subscriber Subscriber

No way at that price point.

5. nfafan

nfafan Well-Known Member

Have to agree, bit steep for many budgets.

6. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

For the same money you can buy some serious speakers like these from Pure Audio.

[​IMG]

7. KankRat

KankRat New Member

I had L100s in the late 80's and a I really don't understand what people like so much about them.

8. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus

Grumpy is the current owner of AK, but not the founder. Here is a thread on the history of the site.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/who-started-the-audiokarma-site.780033/

Regards
    Mister Pig

9. Mister Pig

What I find ironic is how so many people on this site talk about the wonderful build quality of vintage components. How audio companies really took pride in what they build. How people sacrificed to buy audio equipment back in the day, and that it was worth it.

Yet when an audio company comes out with a product that is a reflection of what was offered back in the day. What do these people say?

"HELL NO! Why would I pay that kind of money for something that cost a few hundred back 40 years ago?"

Yet these are the same people who say that a XYZ vintage component would cost thousands to build today if it were new. And many also say, "I wish i could buy one of these new again." Of course they mean at 1970 prices, because when that modern legacy component is rolled out with 2018 prices, there is no way they will pay that kind of money.

The reality is that many AKers, not all mind you, are cheap tightwads. They are unwilling to pay what a modern, NEW, component sells for. So that is why we have so many threads about estate sales, thrift shops, and craigslist. There are many people here care more for the art of the deal than audio playback. They are even unwilling to pay the market price for a good used piece of vintage gear that offers a great sound versus price ratio due to the fact that it is no longer new.

There seems to be evidence for the idea that AKers are cheap.

Regards
    Mister Pig

exhippy, PureQuill, stish and 13 others like this.
  10. z-adamson

z-adamson AK Subscriber Subscriber

So audiokarma is about vintage and cheap?

Sound Dragon and ictwoody like this.
  11. bob06

bob06 Addicted Member

Yes! No body is interested in any thing new or expensive.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    ictwoody likes this.

12. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Such a smart pig :D

13. bob06

bob06 Addicted Member

It's funny because I started on this forum about 8 yrs ago and there still posting about the same stuff. Nothing changes. Bring up anything new and your toxic and labeled with a scull and crossbones. :rflmao:

14. botrytis

THE AK moniker is "ALL AUDIO, NO ATTITUDE". That means ALL AUDIO. You do not have to participate in the discussions of new equipment and technologies, but it is YOUR LOSS. How can you know you can have the best system you can, at your price point, if you don't go out and objectively listen? it boggles my mind how narrow minded so many audiophiles are.

15. OutlawSun

OutlawSun Active Member

It was 300 each in 1970.

16. botrytis

That has more to do with not understanding the search function or just being lazy.

17. botrytis

I could find many used speakers for that price I would want more. I would like to listen to them first, before passing judgment, just not my aesthetic.

18. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Well-Known Member

You're absolutely correct. In '76 or '77, I attempted to purchase a new pair of L100's. I seem to remember they were $330ea. The store was out of stock and told me they would be in "next week".
    When next week turned into 2 weeks, I got discouraged and got my deposit back. As it turned out, I just then came across a mint, one owner pair of Altec Flamencos locally. I grabbed them and still have to this day.
    I did eventually acquire JBL's. I still have a pair each of 4311's, L100's, & L166. Infectious for sure. I can't wait to hear peoples impressions of the new models.

19. 2DualsNotEnough

2DualsNotEnough Super Member

I was just thinking the same thing.Those two,along with a MAC7200 receiver would make a kick ass upgrade from the seventies.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  20. Mister Pig

There is a saying that originated on the farm.

"If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....it's a duck."

All you need is this thread for an example.

Regards
    Mister Pig

exhippy, stish, Old Guy8 and 2 others like this.