JBL re-introducing the L-100

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by jberger, Jan 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Folks. Listen up now.

bt - that’s rich ...

2. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

;) someone had to say it ;)

3. ictwoody

ictwoody I like vintage gear — my preamp is from 2007. Subscriber

I think the funny thing is everyone seems to be assuming these are just re-booted JBL L100's. Like they just fired up the tooling and started cranking out $666 speakers and slapping a $4k price tag on them. I don't think they share anything with the originals other than 3-way, aesthetics, and the name. Maybe you should compare them to something modern that LOOKS similar, like a Harbeth SHL5 or some PMC's or any other modern high end brand.

These aren't targeted at the AKer who can pick up a set at a yard sale and recap them and then jump online to talk about their latest "scroe." These are targeted at people with a more refined taste that don't want used shit. People who would spend this much or more for re-imaged JBLs from Kenrick Sound in Japan. People who prefer German cars to Detroit Motor Cities finest. People who will spend the $$$ on BRAND NEW MC275's to run with them. Basically most people who don't have a clue what Barter Town is.

I pre-ordered two sets.

- Woody

J/K. I have 4312's already.

shagman03, nedseg, donprice and 5 others like this.
  4. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

I'll probably never own a pair, may never even hear a pair, but I'm glad JBL is doing this. It shows a connection to their glorified past. As ictwoody said, these aren't just the same design and components from 40 years ago. These are high quality modern speakers that pay an homage to the past.

I'm also thrilled with the offings from Kenrick sound. A rising tide lifts all boats. So, keep 'em coming!

BNM

Zonker92 likes this.
  5. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

Not the Titanic. Or the Bismark.

Oink snort grunt oink snort.....wanders away....wonder where I laid that truffle down at?

Regards
    Mister Pig

6. z-adamson

z-adamson AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't speak for everyone, just myself. That said, the audio hobby for me is part listening, part restoring, part collecting. Vintage audio covers all three bases. New covers only one base and that is listening. There is no collecting or restoring involved in new. It's just buy, hook up, listen.....boring. The vintage purchase is like this.....search long and hard, buy, restore, hook up, listen. Much more fun than new. The vintage audio gear also has more coolness factor.

You can call it my loss and narrow minded on my part for excluding new gear, but the new audio gear hobby is just plain no fun no matter how it sounds. I like to restore and listen to my restoration rather then buy it, hook it up and call it a done deal. I listen to the gear (my restored gear) and the music, not just the music. Listening to vintage gear is part of the hobby to me.

93SCMax and Zonker92 like this.
  7. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Hazlewoodism Subscriber

But these have an extremely narrow frequency range, see the specs from the Polk site: :biggrin:
    Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 7.43.17 PM.png

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  8. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

A rising tide lifts most boats?

A rising tide lifts all pigs?

[​IMG]

9. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan AK Member Subscriber

Not everyone.

stish and ictwoody like this.
  10. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Pretty much what All Audio , No Attitude entails as exemplified in post #9 from AK founder from this thread back in 2002.
    Scores, thrifts, deals, restorations and fun:beerchug:
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-was-the-best-audio-deal-you-ever-made.2739/

11. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

I am not a JBL historian but it seems to me that along with the Quadraflex foam grille the OTHER world renowned feature of the L100 (at least for the mass market) was the white woofer. That feature was copied 100x more than the waffle grilles. Were other JBL woofers out with white cones before the L100?

12. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

13. Starquest

Starquest Super Member

JBL is capitalizing on the vintage audio fad, the same way Technics is. It's all good stuff, I'm sure, but you're paying heavily for the name and design. (Actually the 1200GR didn't impress me that much for the price.)

Cool speakers, but the value isn't there for me.

14. z-adamson

The Lancer models had the white woofer and they were around before the L100.

15. restorer-john

restorer-john Super Member

I'd wager that people old enough and experienced enough in High Fidelity gear, would prefer Detroit's Finest, the UK's finest or Japan's finest over German brands anyday. I know I would.

Anyone old enough to remember the L100s when new, is likely in their mid 80s now and pretty set in their car purchasing patterns and would have spent most of their life buying home-grown or Japanese cars as the German brands were a tiny segment of sales until the last 20 years or so.
    Now they stick their ever increasing sized badges on everything from entry level sh$tboxes, through to stupid looking SUVs that couldn't negotiate a gutter without blowing a sidewall on their ultra low profile tires and dumbass wheels. They've diluted their brands.

JBL's new L-100 is on my audition list as soon as I can hear a pair. I sincerely hope they are made in the USA however.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Ds2000 likes this.
  16. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Highly unlikely.

17. Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil AK Member

18. restorer-john

Oh dear. :( They don't look as good as the old ones with the grilles off.

L100.jpg

stish and savatage1973 like this.
  19. z-adamson

I dig it.

I like the brushed aluminum look of the old mid better than the new mid, but overall I like the look of the new JBL L100.

20. restorer-john

Maybe I'm just too old-skool.

To me the LPads plate looks 'consumer' and less 'pro'. I liked the old ones, with the recessed slot adjustment and horizontally preferred 'nearfield look' silver foil sticker setup. I like the S/N stamped in the foil. Port looks ugly too and the bass driver looks a bit too 'refined'.

I like to see the tinsel wire/voice coil black and the smaller dustcap. Actually, I wish they had duplicated everything (even the white grille mount spigots) except used better drivers and tuned the cabinet to suit.

I want to see and hear them in the flesh however.

turboyam likes this.