1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

JBL speaker ID

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by 2020, Dec 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 2020

2020 Active Member

Hi
    Recently I got a pair of speakers with JBL D130 woofers, 175 midrange and 077 tweeters. They have n7000 crossovers.

I did some research and don't see any JBL cabinets quite like these, so I THINK the cabinets are custom made or DIY

Has anybody ever seen JBL factory cabinets that look like these?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. hjames

hjames beware of folks offering Cakes Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Looks like a custom hybrid - if they are cheap enough, go for them, they could be fun listening!

2020 likes this.
  3. SaturationPt

SaturationPt Fickle Collector Subscriber

The 077 tweeter is certainly worth owning, but the cabinet does not look JBL to me FWIW.

2020 likes this.
  4. SaturationPt

Even if the 077 is not original, it would be worth owning IMO. I'd be happy with the crossovers, ...

Hard to say if they are factory cabinets or not, any clues as to what's under the black plywood 077 mounting slab?

5. 2020

2020 Active Member

Thanks for your responses hjames and saturationpt.

The construction quality of the cabinets is very professional. I have a feeling they were custom made and the 077's may have been added later. Back in the day, people did that sometimes.

One thing I can tell you is they sound GREAT! Very, very smooth and musical. Probably too sweet for some people's taste, but right up my alley. My other speakers are Voice of the Theaters and Klipschorns, so there is a certain pattern here.

Sincere best wishes!

Johnny_Law and tarior like this.
  6. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

The tweeters are definitely 077s? In the photo they look to me for like 2405s (aluminum center plug, not acrylic).

Please register to disable this ad.

7. SaturationPt

The 2405 is acrylic also, just black instead of the 077's clear. Same tweeter but the 2405 (alnico) and 2405H (ferrous) are the professional versions.

It looks factory as I look more at the photos, maybe '60s? The addition of the black panel with the 077/2405 in it certainly is not original as you've surmised.

The tweeter and potato-masher mid are valuable, LF probably too, I would certainly pick it (them?) up if the price is reasonable and the drivers work. I'm pretty sure that the cabinet isn't going to pay your mortgage, but if it's in nice shape it might be worth having also.

8. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  9. 2020

2020 Active Member

Wow! You all are good.

I think I have one cabinet with a 077 tweeter and one with a 2405.

The cabinet shown in my picture above does not have a clear center on the tweeter. I bet it is a 2405 tweeter.

I had pulled the crossover out of the other cabinet and found a D130 woofer, LE175 mid horn driver and 077 tweeter as labeled on the backs of the drivers. The tweeter on that speaker has a clear center. I had not noticed that before. I thought they all matched.

Originally I had planned to remove these drivers and use them in some lonely Apollo cabinets I have, but I like them pretty much the way they are.

FWIW, I bought these for a good price and have them playing in the other room right now.

Thanks to all for your advice! I learned some things here..

Zonker92 likes this.
  10. SaturationPt

Well I learned something new then! I looked at mine again, always thought they were black plastic, but I guess I can't tell plastic from coated aluminum!

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2405.pdf

Zonker92 and 2020 like this.