Jbl sva2100

audiomagnate

Addicted Member
I've been curious about these for a while. Ever since I heard the 1400 Arrays at the CES show in January, I've been looking for something that comes close that doesn't cost $11,500. I picked these up today and am very pleased. These are no 1400 Arrays, but they are extremely pleasant to listen to. Bass is gorgeous and huge and effortless, with just a hint of the old one note resonance. Mids are uncolored for the most part and the highs are detailed and airy. The naked horn look is starting to grow on me too.

Attachments

• 2011-10-04_13-54-09_688.jpg
    2011-10-04_13-54-09_688.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
These must be the Rodney Dangerfield of JBLs, but guess what, they sound fantastic! Even my Sonus Faber worshiping buddy liked them. They can really float a vocal right in the room, the bass is easy and deep and free flowing, and imaging is fantastic. Horns sound like real horns, and are enough to make you jump in your seat. Great fun!

Attachments

• SNV10027.jpg
    SNV10027.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 166
  • SNV10028.jpg
    SNV10028.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 110
  • SNV10032.jpg
    SNV10032.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
One of the best sounding JBL speakers ever IMHO. A good friend of mine has a pair and they sound awesome! Lots of punch with a wonderful mid-range and life like vocals.:music: The Audax tweeter is no longer made but I think the diaphragms are still available. Great speaker and a real sleeper!:thmbsp:

I'm seriously considering selling my ADSs, which I know makes no sense. These speakers have me listening to music I haven't listened to in ages. They really sound great on classic jazz, which is 90% of my record collection.

When JBL introduced this line, it was in the early days of home theater. Due to the less than pleasing appearance and high cost, they didn't sell very well. Accordingly, they are pretty rare and do not get a lot of attention. Of the JBL's I have owned over the years, and it has been quite a few, they rank up there with the best of them, especially for your kind of music.:music: One tweak that I did was to block the top port with a 4" plumbers plug, ala Zilch (RIP). This tightened up the bass and improved the mid-range.

FWIW, here's my top five, in order, of JBL speakers I have or have had.

1. The 250ti, tops in my book with good clean power and a big room. Biggest soundstage I have ever experienced!

2. The L300, nuff said.

3. The L150a, my current favorite. Easy placement and sound great even in a smaller room. I still am amazed at how articulate they are.

4. The SVA2100, IMHO, JBL's best all around two way.

5. The 4430, given some power and, again, some room, they rock the house. The 2235H woofer is one of their best drivers. Oh, Zilch thought so as well.:yes:

FYI, if you ever have to remove the horns, the screws are covered by the metal trim pieces. The trim pieces are glued to the side of the horns and are a PITA to remove without bending the crap out of them!:thumbsdn: Personally, I would invest in a spare pair of diaphragms if you can find and afford them.:yes:

I was kinda holding out in hopes you'd hate them and I could take a road trip and take them off your hands!

Glad you like them, they've been on my shortlist for quite a while. I think you got many years of enjoyment ahead of you! Again, Congrats!

So one of the reasons these are so rare and underappreciated is their "Less than pleasing appearance"? They are pretty ugly. They look more like water coolers than high end loudspeakers. By metal trim pieces do you mean those plasticy looking fake wood pieces on the front? I lit up the clipping lights on my Nak PA7AII for the first time ever the other night (that was some serious dBs!) so I guess I should invest in a pair of diaphragms.

So one of the reasons these are so rare and underappreciated is their "Less than pleasing appearance"? They are pretty ugly. They look more like water coolers than high end loudspeakers. By metal trim pieces do you mean those plasticy looking fake wood pieces on the front? I lit up the clipping lights on my Nak PA7AII for the first time ever the other night (that was some serious dBs!) so I guess I should invest in a pair of diaphragms.

Yes, the fake looking wood pieces are actually metal and cover the four screws that attach the horn to the baffle. As I said, they are glued in place and a pain to remove without bending them. I also replaced the four small wood screws that attach the woofers to the baffle with pan screws and T-nuts.

I certainly would invest in some diaphragms especially if you are going to max out the big Nak!:yes: I have the series one and haven't come anywhere close to clipping it, yet.:D

Hey audiomagnate, thanks for the nice introduction of SVA-2100, I also have a pair in a mint condition and wanted to pair them with Nakamichi PA-7 (which I'm still looking for to buy), I noticed you have that combination and wanted to ask you for your personal oppinion, how do you like Nakamichi on SVA's? Which pre-amp are you using?

Right now I am driving mine SVA's on Hitachi HMA-8500 MKII with HCA-8500 MKII preamp. This used to sound well until I bought TacT RCS 2.0 and used it as DAC/Preamp connected to Hitachi amp. The sound was way too better... Now I'm thinking about upgrading amp. Meanwhile I sold TacT and got back to HCA... :(

Attachments

• JBLSVA2100.jpg
    JBLSVA2100.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I'd like to have a set of those, they're like the much bigger, better, older brother to my HLS-620's.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 67
Hey audiomagnate, thanks for the nice introduction of SVA-2100, I also have a pair in a mint condition and wanted to pair them with Nakamichi PA-7 (which I'm still looking for to buy), I noticed you have that combination and wanted to ask you for your personal oppinion, how do you like Nakamichi on SVA's? Which pre-amp are you using?

Right now I am driving mine SVA's on Hitachi HMA-8500 MKII with HCA-8500 MKII preamp. This used to sound well until I bought TacT RCS 2.0 and used it as DAC/Preamp connected to Hitachi amp. The sound was way too better... Now I'm thinking about upgrading amp. Meanwhile I sold TacT and got back to HCA... :(

The 2100s with my Nak PA7AII sound fantastic. Super dynamic with just awe inspiring slam and focus. I'm using a Nak CA-5 preamp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom