1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Jbl xpl 140 - how good?

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by Philip moses, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Philip moses

Philip moses New Member

Are these good?
    If so, how good?

Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Zonker92

Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

Supposed to be excellent, and a great used value. But hard to find replacement drivers.

3. jblnut

jblnut Don't Overthink It Subscriber

Very, very good. The XPL was a very special line like the Ti line some years before. I had 140s before my 250s and still think they did some things better, specifically imaging and midrange. These are not party speakers and will not go super loud, but they are instead a true audiophile speaker.

Why do you ask?

jblnut

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  4. Philip moses

Philip moses New Member

I’m looking for some interesting jbls in tne uk, and these popped up on ebay.
    Albeit, quite expensive.
    $700

5. Zonker92

I'd love to have a pair, but then if I did, I would live in fear of a driver dying on me. So I'd rather avoid that temptation.

6. jblnut

They are worth that imho. I wouldn't worry Zonk...they are still JBLs and not fragile. The only semi rare driver is that mid and the car audio version pops on the bay from time to time if you really wanted a spare. The little woof will make audible stress sounds early enough to tell you to back off. Had them and my 940s in the same room and same system and the 940s would blow them outta the room when asked. But only the 140 could conjure Miles in front of me, with a 3d image that was spooky real.

jblnut

Zonker92 likes this.

7. Zonker92

Nice; good to hear that. I'd want them with the optional stands:

[​IMG]

8. DavidF

DavidF Active Member

The tweeters and mids are wonderful drivers, especially in tandem. But they have their foibles.

Both have foam damping pads that are an integral part of the design. The diaphragms are in contact with the foam that helps control the resonances. As foam, they are subject to the deterioration effects like with foam surrounds. They can be replaced but not with any JBL-spec'd part. It will take some amount of skill to both check on the condition and repair if necessary.

The other caution I have is with the terminal mount on the tweeter. It is (as I recall, been a while) held in place by a single rivet. One of mine loosened and when I pull on the wire to disconnect, the whole assembly turned on the axis of the rivet. This pulled apart the lead wire which is very thin and delicate. I was able to solder it back with some luck.

So, if you are able to confirm the condition of the foam, these would a be a opportunity. Likely as not, the seller is not aware of any issues with the foam and may not be able to comment on same.

Check 'em out though.

Zonker92 likes this.
  9. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

Never seen or heard of these before - very interesting speaker! if you get them, let us know how they sound.

10. jblnut

I'm sure our speaker fixer extraordinaire (gordonw) could put some new foam in there for you if that was a major concern. He has re-foamed two sets of 044Ti's for me with excellent results.

jblnut

11. Johnny_Law

Johnny_Law AK Member Subscriber

Semi-old thread, but they are amazing. I read Stereophile's review of the XPL160 blasting the 10" woofer as being too slow for the titanium mid/tweet. Well I just got a pair of XPL140s. The 8" woofer seems to keep up just fine and there's plenty of bass. The bass could be a little stronger wayy down low, but the upper bass isn't offensively bloated, although there is a bit of a hump that could just be placement related. They are very position sensitive (as you can see I've done a horrible job putting them out in front of my L200Bs). My main criticism of other LE-series cone mid / dome tweets in some JBLs is the slow, soft, fuzzy upper midrange, and this Ti mid/tweet is instead fast, light, and clear. If only I could have put them in my old L250s. (Yes I read about the XPL-250s that Greg Timbers prototyped ...)

All of a sudden I really want to find a pair of XPL200As.

[​IMG]

Now I'm trying to hunt down a tech sheet for them - wondering if I should refresh the crossover.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Zonker92 likes this.

12. jblnut

Congrats! They are an excellent speaker and mostly forgotten except for sites like this. To my mind they had a very sophisticated 'audiophile' sound and were quite different than other JBL'S that followed like the L1/3/5/7.

Yes many of us are always on the lookout for the XPL200 :)

Jblnut

Johnny_Law likes this.
  13. Johnny_Law

Johnny_Law AK Member Subscriber

Thanks - I'm very excited! I read many of your posts here and on audioheritage about your XPL140s which pushed me over the fence when buying these. I've had and enjoyed L1 / L20T3 / L40T3 / L80T / L100T / L250 and these really are special in that sweet mid / upper mid register that can make or break acoustic guitar, horns, piano, vocals. Looking forward to more extended listening. :bigok:

14. jblnut

I hope my comments were accurate :). I think we all tend to forget the permanence of these sites and how easily anything can be found, even a decade or more later.

Jblnut

Johnny_Law likes this.