JBL XPL Family Reunion 2017

coolness

All,

Been on the hunt for the JBL XPL 200a for a while now and that day has finally come! Here are pictures of the family, we are still waiting to have our lost brother the XPL 140 join us, but for now this will do...

DSCN2116.JPG DSCN2119.JPG DSCN2121.JPG DSCN2122.JPG DSCN2123.JPG DSCN2124.JPG DSCN2127.JPG

I've always been curious out those but have never seen any locally for sale.

How do you like them?
I have only been listening today, but they are simply incredible. I was very happy with my XPL 160's, but was always wanting to find a pair of 200a's The difference is immediately noticeable. The mid range is much more pronounced and cleaner, and the bass is amazing! Deep clean bass that the XPL 160 could not accomplish without a subwoofer helping. I highly recommend the XPL series of speakers. All 3 pairs I have are amazing. Dollar for dollar some of the best money you can spend on an older speaker.

That is awesome! I moved out 140s to get my 250s and you know, I still miss them. That mid is simply incredible for jazz...Miles was in..the...room. They represented one of the last true 'hi fi store' JBLs built before big box stores and home theater changed things forever. Beautiful cabinets, matching stands, premium crossovers and internal Monster cable wiring even. They are the best JBLs that no one has ever heard ( or heard of).

I don't know how or why but the 140 could hit lower bass notes than the big brother 160. It just couldn't play them very loudly as there is only so much an 8" driver can do.

If a set of 200s ever appears near me....it's gonna force a difficult conversation with the missus :).

jblnut

That is awesome! I moved out 140s to get my 250s and you know, I still miss them. That mid is simply incredible for jazz...Miles was in..the...room. They represented one of the last true 'hi fi store' JBLs built before big box stores and home theater changed things forever. Beautiful cabinets, matching stands, premium crossovers and internal Monster cable wiring even. They are the best JBLs that no one has ever heard ( or heard of).

I don't know how or why but the 140 could hit lower bass notes than the big brother 160. It just couldn't play them very loudly as there is only so much an 8" driver can do.

If a set of 200s ever appears near me....it's gonna force a difficult conversation with the missus :).

jblnut
Too true! I totally support what you say. For Jazz these are tough to beat. I have played Pink Floyd DSOTM on vinyl, a DVD Audio of Pet Sounds and (believe it or not) the local Classical station on HD Radio and these things just plain sound fantastic.

Absolutely - Have you read JBL Chief Engineer Greg Timbers comments on the XPL-200s?
(He was the designer and didn't comment on many speakers on the Lansing site)
XPL200A vs 4315A first impressions - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10615-4315B-Includes-Designer-s-Post
I had not seen this, thanks for sharing. I had read other posts from GT on the other forum and think he is obviously a genius! I have never heard the 4315s, but hope to someday. Also I am not even going to chase the unicorn that is DX-1, if one appears some day great, but I don't think that will happen. For now I am just going to love one of his best creations!!

Back
Top Bottom