JBL's Still Worth Getting Into?

theoman

Confused Member
Subscriber
I've been thinking about adding a pair of JBL's to my system like the L112's. But I've seen the same pairs getting flipped over and over. Is there places that still test and rebuilds the speakers?

Adding L112 speakers? Great!

They get flipped alot because the resale value is high.

Are there places that rebuild them? Uhhh, yup.

I have 4 sets of JBLs here. They are staying here.

(later added, because of confusing sentence)

I have 4 sets of speakers that are the JBL brand (no L112s). Sorry for bad English......:)

Last edited:
I've owned my L112s since 1981 and haven't flipped them even once! The first time they will have left my bedroom will be when we move later this year.

Agreed, go for it. I have 2 sets and they are not leaving, and if I come across more at not so insane prices, I would grab them.

I love my stable of JBLs, but in response to the question--Still Worth Getting Into? I don't know. If you like the sound and are willing to pay the price--then yes. But the prices for "classic" or "revered" JBLs are getting insane these days. Even L100's in good shape are easily fetching 4 digit prices these days--depends on what you are willing to pay. Mine are bought and paid for years ago, and are not going anywhere, but I don't know if I would be "shopping" for them at current prices.

I'm going to drive them with my Ampzilla, I use my Helicon 800's and Liuto's with my tubes.

2 pairs
4311's
L100's early
keepers for sure and worth getting into if you can find a pair at a good price
there are plenty of resources for repairs of these much sought after vintage speakers,so repairs would not be a problem at all

Yes JBL is still worth getting into! I would say that some of the prices these days are quite inflated but there are still bargains to be found. The L112 or something like the 4412 would be a great JBL to look for, as I've yet to find someone who has not been impressed by what the 128H woofer can do when seeing them in person.

I wouldn't worry too much about flippers. If anything, they know that working (not broken) speakers bring the highest prices so in many cases they restore the speakers before flipping them. There are also many cases where people who are the original owners are selling them simply because they have come upon financial hard times and have to take advantage of how much these speakers are worth these days. Many of the pairs I've bought, I had great discussions with the owners when I picked them up and they were happy that they were going to someone who would enjoy them.

I love my stable of JBLs, but in response to the question--Still Worth Getting Into? I don't know. If you like the sound and are willing to pay the price--then yes. But the prices for "classic" or "revered" JBLs are getting insane these days.
As the current owner of over a dozen JBLs from 4345 to LSR305 I'd have to say the collector value has a lot to do with the current prices, but they'd never have reached this point unless they provided exceptional sonic performance for the buck! What I paid for my 4345s over nine-years ago is well documented on Lansing Heritage but even today I'd have to spend ten-times as much in new offerings to get even close to the performance these offer. They offer a listening experience that far exceeds my high expectations after lusting for L300s ever since they were sold new. I've had JBLs in my home for over 60-years (and still have the first one) so I may be slightly prejudiced :biggrin:, but my 60-years of critical listening to many other systems, speakers, and brands has only served to reinforce my opinion and justify my brand loyalty.

Another very brand loyal JBL owner here. I've owned them since my first pair in 1987, and have many sets currently. I note with interest that Music Direct is now offering for sale many JBL models not previously available for North American consumers, which is a really good thing (although most of the models' prices are way out of my league!). However, they do sell various 4312 variants, 4319 and even the 4429, which are relatively affordable. So if you want new, you have choices. Used, lots available, and as noted, prices are very strong these days, particularly for the popular models from the 1970s. I recently completed putting together a 2 channel JBL setup using Performance Series components (PT800 docked to PS1400). I am absolutely thrilled at how good they sound. My total cash outlay was around $2K, and it took some patience and various ads on internet forums, but the wait was worth it (and the search was fun). JBL offers huge value for money. Also, if you have some talent as a woodworker, you could pick up a pair of vintage JBL's (L100 for example), restore the cabinets, fix anything wrong with the components, enjoy them, and if they are not for you sell them on for a profit. I think you will enjoy them, I know I do, I've been a fan for more than 30 years.

I'm not thinking of value just sound. can I get each speaker rebuilt coils up? are all parts in a L112's rebuilding?

Are the LX55's worth picking up? There is a pair at the local GW.
Seem to be well reviewed. Date from the early 1990s. Lots of parts available on eBay, and the average price for the LX55 seems to be quite low +/- $100 or so. If in good shape, and price is right, pick 'em up. You will probably like them, and if not, depending how much you paid, you could probably make a profit selling them on. Not a well known model, but seem well respected.

The LX44/55 are a great/cheap way to see what JBL is all about. But for just a little more, you can get into much better models like the 4410/4412. I swapped out some LX44's for 4410's in my son's room and the different in clarity is astounding.

jblnut

When I think of JBL I think of paragon. Harkness and Hartsfield, L 200 and L300. A L112 is not even close to the JBL I know. It has limited LF response below 60 hz, a ragged high end and very low sensitivity and dynamic range is poor with limited power handling. A klipsch Hersey has a flatter response, is 6 db more efficient, and doesn't have the ragged tweeter issues. All JBL's seemed to favor the high frequency spectrum and unless the L112 is placed against a wall or on the floor and against a wall have limited low frequency performance. With the L112 limited power handling and low efficiency I would look else where. They do work well as monitors in a small environment with a very short listening distance. JBL was always a leader in horn design innovation. So I would be looking for models taking advantage of JBL's strength. Maybe a 4425 or 4430 for a more modern design in a smaller cabinet. The latest designs from the Synthesis family in the book shelf format are excellent speakers, but pricey.
Are we even talking about the same speakers? Are you sure you aren't confusing L112 with L212, or L222/220? Both models you suggest as smaller cabinets are larger than the L112. You're confusing the members!

IMO the 112 is a fantastic speaker for almost any kind of music. I say almost but I haven't really found any type that didn't sound good. As far as not taking much power, they are rated for 300 watts. If you find a nice pair you won't be sorry.

Back
Top Bottom