JDS Labs El Dac

invaderzim

Anyone familiar with their El Dac? I can't find much in the way of reviews of it.
el-dac-front.jpg

• Frequency Response 10Hz-20kHz+/- 0.15dB
  • THD+N 20Hz-20kHz< 0.0011%
  • IMD CCIF 19/20 kHz -6.03 dBFS0.00017%
  • IMD SMPTE -6.03 dBFS0.00061%
  • Noise (A-Weighted)-109 dBu
  • Dynamic Range (A-Weighted)117 dB
  • Linearity Error -90 dBFS-0.01 dB
  • Crosstalk -10 dBFS 100K RCA-108 dB
  • USB Jitter Components 11025Hz-116 dB
  • PCB Stackup4 Layers
  • Maximum DAC Line-Output, 100K2.00 VRMS
  • Audio Formats (S/PDIF)16/44.1kHz thru 24/192kHz*
  • Audio Formats (USB)16/44.1kHz thru 32/384kHz**
  • USB InterfaceUSB Audio Class 2
  • USB Driver OS SupportWindows XP/7/8/10, OS X, Linux, Android
  • Digital InputsUSB, TOSLINK, and Coaxial S/PDIF
  • DAC Line-OutputRCA

Last edited:
Given it uses the same DAC chip it should be comparable to Schiit Modi Uber 2 which retails for $100 less. Seems it has newer (better?) 32-bit USB audio interface that allows up to 384kHz sampling frequency, if that's of any importance to anyone.

Hadn't noticed that.

It is odd that the one review I read seems to say it sounds the opposite of the Uber 2. But then again that is the way subjective reviews go.

"The sound kicked out by the EL DAC adds a noticeable amount more body to the sound. It provides a much more full sound, and, due to the added body in the bass and mids, brings a touch of warmth to the proceedings as well. It does give the DAC a somewhat laid back feel to it. It isn’t the lightning storm that is the Concero HD, per instance. What is most pleasing is, despite the increased body, the sound never gets thick or muddy sounding. Fine detail retrieval is noticeably better than with the built-in DAC. It manages to up the performance, in both technicality and musicality. "

Hadn't noticed that.

It is odd that the one review I read seems to say it sounds the opposite of the Uber 2. But then again that is the way subjective reviews go.

"The sound kicked out by the EL DAC adds a noticeable amount more body to the sound. It provides a much more full sound, and, due to the added body in the bass and mids, brings a touch of warmth to the proceedings as well. It does give the DAC a somewhat laid back feel to it. It isn’t the lightning storm that is the Concero HD, per instance. What is most pleasing is, despite the increased body, the sound never gets thick or muddy sounding. Fine detail retrieval is noticeably better than with the built-in DAC. It manages to up the performance, in both technicality and musicality. "

I found the article this quote is taken from but see no reference to Uber 2, but it probably was someplace else.

They didn't mention it, just their description of the El Dac seemed to be the opposite of what I found with the Schiit one. "added body in the bass and mids, brings a touch of warmth" is not how I'd describe the Modi

Back
Top Bottom