jensen opc eggshell tweeter

frankwood

hi everybody!

this morning i tough i did a real nice find; i was one hour from home to buy a pioneer sx-636 and the woman that sold it to me asked me if i had interest in buying the vintage speakers that goes with the receiver.

for sure! what it is? Jensen opc24. nice! i'll take them

on the road i was like crazy for trying those at home. but once connected and driving them gently, i found a tweeter is not working :(

read open on the ohmeter...dam

so what would you do in this case? crush it? sell good pieces? put another tweeter? i think those are very hard to replace. the one that works puts out very joyable sounds....

Pull the tweeter and see if it's repairable. The tinsel lead could be broken and repairable. Otherwise, I'd watch the bay for a replacement.

GeeDeeEmm

Pull the tweeter and see if it's repairable. The tinsel lead could be broken and repairable. Otherwise, I'd watch the bay for a replacement.

GeeDeeEmm
M. Moore tank you. you are absolutely right. after a fine surgery for taking out the small grill and some glue, i was not sure there was a broken lead. then i put on some weak audio signal direct to the closest point of the wire and my tweeter works! cool! now the goal is to find a way to sold it back in it's place. it's so small.

Enjoy those speakers. Can you post pictures?

FYI - they sound better without the grills, which limit transparency. They also can benefit from putting a new felt ring on the front of the cabinet around the tweeters: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...dge-diffraction-on-jensen-24-speakers.421679/

As stated, they come up on ebay from time to time. I believe the LS5 and LS6 were the same tweeter, as were Jensen 25. Right now there are is a pair of LS tweeters on ebay that look identical.

Last edited:
one question i have is about the mids. the original suspension seems to be ok but on the threshold of too dry. do you think i can let those that way? they works pretty well.

I had my midrange foams replaced by SimplySpeakers. I just saw a refoam kit for them on ebay.

well, my eggshell tweet are back on duty and i'm so proud of it! now after a temp to massage the midrange's foam, i came to the conclusion that they need a good refoam. after 45 years, it's a normal thing,, i'll come back to post some inputs about how they sound and i have some 9 or 10 good pair here to make a good comparo..:)

I made new speaker covers by building a frame of 3/4 inch strips of wood with black speaker fabric stretched over it. Fastened to the speaker with velcro. I even bought a vintage set of brass Jensen speaker logos to fix to them for a nice touch.

well my opc's are back to life and i'm pretty happy with them. i like their look, they are big size and for the sound; i think the tweeter is it's bigger argument. those big eggshell are very efficient and clear. the mids are ok( i have to refoam them). maybe some internal braces could help for deeper response. the overall image is surprising. it's the first Jensen product i saw that worth to own....

Play around with speaker placement, when you find the sweet spot, imaging will bloom.

I too have thought about some internal bracing. Someday I will work on it.

Back
Top Bottom