Jensen System B restoration

Mountain,

Talk about a cliff hanger! LOL...How did this restoration\rebuild go in the end? How do the System Bs sound after all of your modifications? My brother and I came across a pair at a thrift yesterday and he liked the way they looked so he bought them. On one of them the low driver wasn't playing but found that they had a loose connection and got it working. They sound good, but discovered the same issues with the cabinet, the inside seals had hardened over the years and were breaking apart which then caused some rattling of the case. At looking at this and a few threads it looks like someone previously refoamed the mids and low drivers with a rubberized ones instead. He intends to reseal the cabinets and restain the U stands for now.

new caps jensen system b speakers.png old capacitors jensen system b speakers.png While waiting for Mountain to finish his System B restoration, I thought I'd show some photos of a recap of my System C crossovers. I used a Audyn Q4 for the 66uf and Daytons for the others. Total of 18 capacitors. I'm going to pick them up from my tech guy on monday. I also had the input terminals replaced with better ones. With the old caps they just sounded on the flat side. they were smooth but I hope for a little more openess and more brilliant. with new ones. In photo: New on left. Old on right

The original Polycaps in these speakers must have been bad or the original input terminals were bad because after the replacement of both "These speakers sound 100% better!!!" They sound so much more efficient. They play noticeably louder than the VL-201 Nova 8b. but before they were about the same in comparison loudness wise. My tube amp would clip at times just to get the Jensens at some what loud.,,30 wpc in triode mode. Now, No problem at all. I'm listening to John Denver (1996) recordings cd and John sounds like he is singing within a foot of the mic instead of 5 feet back. These are definitly the best most accurate sounding pair of vintage speakers I own.. Not my favorite.That would be the Optimus 7. for those have a very unique sound that I have never heard before or since. I should have done this recap thing years ago.

Hello, I was wonder if you could post the spec sheet for the jensen system b speakers. I have a pair and have been looking for a spec sheet but have had no luck finding one. I unfortunately don't have the 12" subs so I trying to figure out somthing to replace them with. Do you have any ideas? Or would whatever i replaced them with mess the sound signature up too much?

Thanks for any help

Mountain, how did you remove the "power overload compensation monitor"? I've been having a difficult time trying to remove it, it feels like I'm going to break something if i just pull on it.

Thanks

After the first clamp up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Look at the size of that coil!

attachment.php

attachment.php
Mountain1,

I picked up my System Bs today from a favorite thrift store and I can tell someone has already worked on them and look what they did to the crossover, removed 3 coils and 2 caps. Why would anyone do that? They also stuffed the mid-range tube with insulation and installed a couple of front-to-back internal braces. I just ordered re-foam kits for the 12" & 6". Did you find or do you have a diagram that I could use to rebuild it? Any help would be appreciated.System B Crossover-JD.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Ummm it's been 6 years since your last post here, how long are you going to keep us in suspense? lol
I hope all is OK, I just found it strange that you did all that wonderful work and not post the finished product.
I myself am trying out some System C's and they are quite good!

Well, here's an update (after 7 years).

In 2018 the place where Mountain1 and I worked went out of business. A few months before they closed the doors Mountain1 and I were talking. He had moved and had to tear down his shop and cnc table. If I remember correctly, he had finished the speakers and gave them a listen. He thought they were a little flat in the bass response. I asked him if he had an equalizer in his system. He didn't. He pulled the drivers out again to paint some trim pieces that surrounded the mid-range and bass drivers. Before he could assemble them again, he had to move. He carefully packed the drivers in boxes and stored it all. While we were talking he said he didn't have room to keep them and had lost interest in the project. He generously offered them back to me (I'm the one who sold them to him for $25). I knew I couldn't afford them especially after seeing this thread and all that he had put into them. He said I could have them, I'd just have to install the drivers and trim rings in the cabinets. He did warn me to be careful with the large trim rings because they easily crack. So in 2018 he brought them to work and we transferred all the pieces into my car. I put the pieces in my basement and there they sat for 3 years.

Why did i let them sit for so long?
I didn't have anything to hook them up to. I had given my Scott 385R receiver away (it didn't work anymore) to another guy at work. I had sold my turntable (Pioneer PL400) to yet another co-worker. Myself, Mountain1, the guy I gave my receiver to and the guy who bought my turntable all worked at the place that went out of business. The only thing I had kept was my Audio Source EQ 1 equalizer.

Fast forward to a few months ago (early 2021):
I mentioned to the guy who bought my turntable (he and I work together at a new place) that I had cleaned the back of my basement out and was setting up a "man cave". I wanted to set up the speakers Mountain1 had given back to me but I didn't have an amp. Turntable guy happened to have an older (I wouldn't call it vintage) ONKYO receiver. I bought it from him for $60 (same price he paid me for the turntable a few years back) and I set it all up in the man cave.

I had lost one of the big trim rings, and sadly, broke the other one. Mountain1 was right. They were easy to crack. The only thing I didn't have was the screws to mount the drivers back in the cabinets, so I grabbed some black wood screws (they may actually be drywall screws) and I put them back together.

They sound GREAT! Maybe only slightly less bass response than I remember but they seem to be getting better as I play them more. Not sure if that's really happening or if it's just because I want it to be true. It could be that my hearing has lost some bass response.

I think they may have sounded even more flat to Mountain1 for 2 reasons. First he didn't have an eq to boost the bass. Second, when I set the piece of the broken trim ring on the woofer to take the picture below, i noticed the foam surround was rubbing against the inner surface of the ring. That may have been affecting the movement of the woofer when Mountain1 had tested them.

Here's a picture of the trim ring that is supposed to be surrounding the woofer:
index.php

Here's why it's not installed (plus I lost the other one):
index.php

This shows half of the trim ring in place to give a glimpse of what it's supposed to look like. This is when I noticed the inner surface of the trim ring is rubbing on the foam surround. Perhaps the surround is slightly larger than the originals? Doesn't matter since the rings aren't installed. Mountain1 did a fantastic job re-foaming these:
index.php

Here's a picture of the front of one of the System B's. You can see the smaller plastic trim ring that Mountain1 repainted on the mid-range speaker above the woofer:
index.php

Yes, that is a Harbor Freight Dolly under the speaker. I wanted to get them off the floor in case my sump pump fails and floods the basement again. Plus these speakers are 80 pounds and the dollies make them easy to move.

My current setup:
index.php

EQ and Receiver:
index.php

A final look at the front and back of my old Jensen Sysetm B's.
More importantly, the finished work of master craftsman Mountain1:
index.php

This brings this re-build thread to an almost full circle. Especially since the speakers ended up back in the hands of the original owner (me) who purchased them brand new (as floor demos) back in the 80's.

Big shout out to Mountain1 for bringing back the sounds and memories of my younger days. I am in heaven listening to my 70's and 80's music just as I used to hear it...and the rattle the speakers developed as they aged is all gone!

The true end to this circle is missing one thing. I haven't been in contact with Mountain1 in a few years. Mike if you still pop in on this forum and see this, you need to come to the mancave to HEAR what these sound like with an equalizer feeding them. There's beer in the fridge, a tattered (but playable) pool table and a lot of 70's and 80's music playing in the background to enjoy. Maybe we can get Matt (turntable guy) and Terry (receiver guy) to join us.

Attachments

• painted trim ring laying by woofer.jpg
    painted trim ring laying by woofer.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Cracked trim piece.jpg
    Cracked trim piece.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 28
  • jensen system C.jpg
    jensen system C.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Whole setup.jpg
    Whole setup.jpg