Jesus Christ Superstar Live

JimPA

Distinguished Member
Did anyone watch Jesus Christ Superstar Live on NBC Easter Sunday?

I was impressed John Legend.
His performance of Hosanna reminded me of Ted Neeley from the original movie.
watch

Sara Bareilles has a wonderful voice performing the songs Yvonne Elliman made famous.
watch
watch

Brandon Victor Dixon performed the Judas Iscariote songs with such authority.
watch

What can one say of Alice Cooper who is simply a rock icon.
His use of the cane with skull as a prop got the point of the song across.
watch

I enjoyed hearing the original score as a child after my sister purchased the albums.

I lasted 15 minutes,it wasn't my cup of tea.
I remember the album when it came out but never owned it.

It's a wonderful score. I've seen several live productions, and enjoyed them. This version could have been much better if a) they had cut down so much of the crowd screaming...it drowned out parts of the performance, same as often happens at live concerts, and b) they had pushed up the volume on the lead vocals...they seemed to get a bit drowned in the mix. But I thought the set and performances were impressive and very well done, and I love the fact that this production was undertaken. Not sure John Legend was the best choice to play JC...he has a smooth and very musical voice, but maybe not the raw power needed for that character's best songs.

Last edited:
I liked the movie version, which followed soon after the original stage versions. I suppose what I liked least about this revival, was that it was designed to appear (and appeal) more as a rock concert than as a narrative with a setting--that was certainly the effect of the opening which I watched. I only saw parts of it, however, and I'm glad to hear that significant parts were sung well.

I TIVOed it for my wife -
I watched a bit of it around 10PM sunday,
but I have no real interest in commercially laden fare like that.

But I do know a lot of the numbers from the original UK cast LP (e.g., Ian Gillan as The Prophet plus Murray Head, Yvonne Elliman, Mike d'Abo, others) on the Decca UK label. I doubt any production since captures the mood and vocal magic of these folks. I might still have that original LP in my vinyl collection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom