Jewel in the crown of your system?

Trawlerman

I was thinking about my system the other evening at work and came to the conclusion that above all else, the piece of gear that I covet the most is my CD player.

I own an mid-90s Krell MD10 Transport (Philips CDM4-Pro) and a matching Krell STUDIO DAC.

I was lucky enough to get these at a steal for £1900 a couple of years back and could probably sell them for double what I paid even now. The condition of these are pretty good with only the odd mark here and there.

So..... what is the one piece of gear that you covet above all else. The only stipulation is that it must be in use regularly as part of your system.

Here's mine.....

krellmd10studio.jpg

krell2.jpg

krell.jpg

Unfortunately, the photos just don't the machine the justice it deserves. I've also changed my rig around a bit since then but you get the idea.

I have to say that mine is a Bryston 11B preamp, followed closely by my Sansui TU-517, and EPI 20+ speakers.

Easy one

For me the number one item I covet and use every day is my Sony TA-E77ESD Preamp. . . I sold her to BigYank last April as I had started taking her for granted. . . Fortunatly Yank sold her back to me about a month ago. . . I wont let her go again. . . I know there's better out there but for what I do it is absolutly perfect. . .

Maybe not a big name in Audiophilandiaham but absolutly the best little preamp for the money I have had. If only its DACs were not so dated and it had an optical along with its coaxial input. . .but you cant have it all. . .

Probably my Tangent RS8 speakers (a British company - they made very few of these before they went broke).

I have a friend who has a pair but I have never seen them around....

Next might be some McIntosh tube gear but you can still pick that stuff up. If you can afford it. :eek:

Originally posted by Toasted Almond
K.....A.....B......U......

TA

I don't think mine qualify as Kabuki, especially since they were made in Denmark and not Japan, bastard! ;)

Cerwin Vega 1215MK II's (or as close as CV can get to telling me, mine have two 5 1/4" mids and no rear tweeter)

I don't think they qualify as K...A...B....U.... either.

I just know what gets you going pretty good.

Plus yours probably don't go down as deep as those in the ad.

TA

Last edited:
GaryP, I picked up a pair of the baby brothers to your RS8's. I have a pair of stand-mount RS4's hooked up to Cambridge Audio separates, A500/D500SE/T500, and an MM-5. They are really quite happy together. That setup shares the basement with the pool table. Music, pool, beer, if the computer was down there, I might never come upstairs.
Audax woofer and Kef tweet, great combination. Strange thing, tho, port opening is square, and the cabs seem quite... well... supple? Are your 8's like that?

pic attached:

Originally posted by Toasted Almond
I don't think they qualify as K...A...B....U.... either.

I just know what gets you going pretty good.

Plus yours probably don't go down as deep as those in the ad.

TA

I knew you were jerking my chain you ole meanass ;) Actually mine go lower than what it says in the ad, can't remember exactly but with test tones and a db meter it was in the low 20's I think, was really freaky cuz it wasn't so much of a hearing it thing as a feel it thing and it was registering on the meter, I'd have to do a search of old posts to get the exact number.

I gotta go drink some more ;) I just dropped in to check my new posts cuz I had a new PM ;)

Last edited:
My "Omigawd" piece would have to be my RCA AR-60 communications receiver from 1935. Amelia Earhart's last transmission in '37 was heard on one of these things on board a Navy trawler. There was only 200-300 of 'em made-they cost $495 in '35- & maybe half a dozen left. Honorable mention would go to my Rohde & Schwarz EK-07 military receiver.At 152 lbs, they were talking about it when they nicknamed thease things "boatanchors". Approx 1000 were made between 1958 & 1973, maybe 24 have made their way to the New World. It has that ultra- smooth Germanic "Everything's Running In Oil" feel to it, & it will easily hear signals the R-390s can barely snag the carrier on.-Sandy G.

Thor

That is the largest phone table I have ever seen. Ya sure the phones not supposed to be inside like other phone booths :p:

Back
Top Bottom