Jewel in the crown of your system?

I would be somewhat hard pressed to pick just one component in my system as "The Jewel", as I look upon the entire chain as a true system approach, so they all, as newzealand mentioned above, are jewels. If I had to pick one though, probably it would be my Duevel Venus Omni's, as they just get on with things and present music in such a fine way, makes me smile every time I listen to them. Also, there probably was more at stake when I bought them, and some of the issues getting them through customs and here to my home. It is great when a plan comes together and just works!

i just looked them up and seem to be very interesting style of speaker indeed,do you have a pic of your set up?

001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG very nice ,modern, clean set up ,
my gear is more mixed up since i down sized
forgive the pics as it is night here and im not very handy with a cam ,but im sure you get the idea
mike

Mike-nice batch of goodies there! No problem on the pics, mine are not great at all, but there you go! I got a bit of a chuckle out of the "downsizing" comment, all relative, but those Kef's are pretty big! I imagine quite a nice sound as well! Enjoy!

Mike, quite the rack full of goodies there, are those the Technics components in the upper portion of the rack? Always liked that range of gear.

Pig, nice setup too! You have some fine Jewels!

Love the Well Tempered tables! I have never heard any of the Halcro gear, seemed like no one around me ever had any of it to check out. Have they arisen from the ashes? Seems like I had read something about that not too long ago...

i run a sme arm also ,mine is the feather weight mkiii ,i use a stanton 881s cart,
what cart are you running

The SME V has a Transfiguration Audio Proteus on it.

Other cartriges in my small collection are an

Ikeda 9 Kawami
Ortofon A90
ZYX 4D
Denon DL-S1

Just a few cartridges to pass the time with.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Mike, quite the rack full of goodies there, are those the Technics components in the upper portion of the rack? Always liked that range of gear.

Pig, nice setup too! You have some fine Jewels!
yes its the technics pro gear, i was using the two perreaux amps ,sounded very big lol

@TimF, interesting collection of European gear. What lead you to those brands? Is there a dealer with any of those lines local or were you hunting gear on a €pean vacation?

@TimF, interesting collection of European gear. What lead you to those brands? Is there a dealer with any of those lines local or were you hunting gear on a €pean vacation?
I am probably the weird one here, I tend to like things that are just different, not the "me too" types of products-Obviously they must sound good, have decent representation and reliability too, but...Almost two years ago, I had decided to more or less buy a system that would-or should more or less see me through retirement, which will hopefully be in a year or so. Having always owned more typically euro brands, Naim, Linn etc., I started looking and listening to other brands out there. Having heard the Duevel line roughly back around 2003, I loved the sound of them, thought they were a bit quirky looking in a way, but made great music. Guess I had sort of tucked it away though as a great listen. Once I had decided to look for the system, and my love for omni speakers, the Duevel more or less popped up in my head as a good potential. Worked with Pascal Ravich of Mutine, in Canada, and the rest was history, ordered them and got on with the rest of the system. Pascal worked tirelessly to get my speakers from Germany to here.

Checking out electronics, I came across the distributor for LinnenberG, who also distributed Innuos. I was real interested in the Innuos line, as I typically have been streaming my music since about 2012, and I was looking for something easy to manage, not a bunch of computer crap to deal with. The Innuos was tried, pure joy, simple to use, decent enough interface via iPad, but sound great as well. The LinnenberG line for the DAC-preamp and the amplifiers took me a bit longer to get on board with them, mainly because they really were a much less known entity, but I liked what I saw. I got them from the distributor with the ability to try before buy. He had show demos, so it was the perfect opportunity to give them a shot, and lose no money, but a good bit to gain. No point in saying much, other than the little DAC-preamp and amplifers are great, small form factor, yet a big punch for such small, and fairly lower powered outputs/55 wpc. The DAC really fits in well too with the Innuos streamer, it is simple, has about 7 selectable digital filters to choose from, which really are quite subtle, yet can actually make some difference. The DAC also has one convertible single ended connection, that via internal jumper, can be set as single ended outputs to the amps, or as a single ended input-which I use for my phono stage. The electronics are just really nice, and not huge, space sucking pieces, very well built and sound great, with good dealer and manufacturer backing. Mark Sossa of Well Pleased AV helped me with the above pieces. Great guy to deal with too.

The Holbo air bearing table, now that was a tougher thing to do for me. I had probably kicked the analog side of things around the block for several years. I used to own a Linn LP12, actually, two of them over the course of many years, but sadly, a divorce in 2005 took an entire active Naim/Linn system from me, amongst some other fine goodies. Suck it up, right? So no turntable since 2005, although I did keep some of my LP's. Still, it is a costly investment, not just for the table, but also renewing an LP collection. I wasn't sure if I wanted to head down that road again, and digital streaming had become my main thing anyway, and I was quite satisfied with it. But, I had saved some considerable money by purchasing my other electronics above at good demo pricing. It allowed me to start looking for the table. I had always had a fascination for linear tracking tables, and air bearing arms to me were an interesting thing. But having an air bearing platter too, was even better, icing on the cake! I ran into the Holbo by reading a review in the Polish online HiFidelity. I kept looking at it, reading the review, trying to find out more about its build etc. Finally I just decided to give the manufacturer/designer a call. Talking about a very pleasant situation, good great information, good feedback, and thought, well, maybe it is worth giving it a chance, it had all the right parts/pieces to me, simple, looked decent, not an oil rig full of crappy parts. I got the first Holbo table in the US, and that whole purchase was also a very fun experience. The table, while certainly has a very cheap MM on it right now, sounds extremely good. It is fairly easy to set up, the pump is quiet, and it is simple. I love it. Working with Bostjan Holc, the designer, and really the Holbo of Holbo, also very great experience.

All of the above is kind of long winded just to say this...There are many really great pieces that come from Europe, Poland, Russia, etc., yes, it may be costly, yes it may take time to get to you, and in a must-have-now?Amazon get it the next day-or even same day, I found it refreshing to get interesting, more hand crafted, unique designs that just sound fantastic. It took time though. I spent the better part of maybe a year just looking and listening to various bits of gear. In the end though, I would say probably I have the only system like it in its price range in the US. That it makes me smile every time I sit down for a listen, is worth it all to me. Was not cheap either, but it also wasn't as much as a lot of the systems that grace the hifi magazines-or dare I say it, those that have multiple systems all over their house, and continue to buy bits here and there. Nothing wrong with that though of course! And also, I met a few really very good people that are so very passionate about what equipment they make or distribute. I also found many gems in the mix that I did not buy, but wish I could! It has been a very fun, exciting experience, to say the least! The nice thing too, I have no desire to "Upgrade" or tinker, save my phono stage and cartridge maybe at some point. I have a sound scape that I love. So also, no euro vacations either, just a lot of reading, and talking to various dealers. All done from the comfort of my chair at home! Thanks for the ramble.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I noticed the nail wasn't up to the rest of the system and you addressed that. I have a friend I call Esoteric Mike since he had a very natural sounding system, Salk Veracity HT-1 (ribbon tweeters), Odyssey Khartago mono amps, Response Audio engineering model preamp and a Northstar DAC and transport. Not everyday gear. He has since upgraded to a later Response Audio Musica Bella and has gotten big speakers but a system that not a lot of folks have. More common than your gear in the US. Always good to learn about affordable high performance gear instead of the most common brands which rule AK.
Appreciate you sharing the story.

Back
Top Bottom