jhoyt's system-and-a-half

Very nice room and eq setup! Especially loving the speakers and hope they are better soon. :)
Is that old radio operational? It is a beauty! (At least, I think it's a radio)
I had to get doors also, but not for little finger protection but for WAF. At first I wasn't terribly thrilled, but it still sounds good. :)

With new curious little fingers in the house, I had to let the Maggie go, but it did sound very realistic and much larger than its ~10 wpc. One day, I'll have tubes again.

My kids are slightly older but I would have introduced mine to the tubes after they had been running about 20 minutes. Problem solved. They would never go near them until they're 9 or 1o when they figure out where the volume knob is!

But that's just me. I let my kids learn the hard way. The cat however........had to break out the ADS speakers with the steel grills until it got runover. The new one doesn't mess with them!

Concrete blocks covered in fabric for speaker stands?
Brilliant! I never would've thought of that, I might have to steal your idea.
Beautiful system.

The blocks were my idea, the fabric was my wife's idea. Sort of a WAF-acceptable compromise. :yes:

jhoyt said:
One pile waits with their god in a box / The other pile nervously mocks heaven
Misfits lost in the dryer take heart / Maybe there's a place up in sock heaven
-- Steve Taylor
Anyone who quotes Steve Taylor has got to have it going on! :)

With new curious little fingers in the house, I had to let the Maggie go, but it did sound very realistic and much larger than its ~10 wpc. One day, I'll have tubes again.
Ah little fingers... hence the reason behind the decidedly nonstandard replacement tweeters in my Stereotech 3s. :)

that is a great looking system and room! Love the Sansui monster and the console radio!!

It's been fun watching the evolution of your system. Looking forward to whatever the future brings.

That's a damn shame. I have a 5-year-old son and a 7-year-old daughter and they've known from a very early age that they're not allowed to touch the stereo. In fact, now my daughter has a Maggie console stereo (SE EL84 tubes, natch) with a Philips GA-212 and an iPod hooked up to it and my son has an early 80s Technics New Class A receiver and linear-tracker + Minimus 7s in his room.

-D

That's a damn shame. I have a 5-year-old son and a 7-year-old daughter and they've known from a very early age that they're not allowed to touch the stereo. In fact, now my daughter has a Maggie console stereo (SE EL84 tubes, natch) with a Philips GA-212 and an iPod hooked up to it and my son has an early 80s Technics New Class A receiver and linear-tracker + Minimus 7s in his room.

-D

The very best way to keep kids from messing with your gear is to give them their own. My two kids have their own gear, and it's not bad stuff, either!

Changes

In the past couple weeks a signifcant part of my system has changed. I have sold the Sansui equipment, and the old Magnavox tube amp. They all went to fellow AK'ers. At present, the MCS 3285 receiver is doing the heavy lifting. And I might add, it's doing a right fine job. Someday I hope to have some higher-end SS or tube gear back again, but we'll see.

At this point, I feel blessed for what I've gotten to experience, but also for what I have now. The music sounds very good. And that's what counts. :music:

Funny, I was reading through your thread and about to ask about your Maggie. I have the same exact amp, and with certain music and speakers I prefer it to my Dynaco st70, which is a bit more powerful and bass-gutsy, but the Maggie just has a musical "right-ness" about it. I was curious about what was done to yours, it looks like the power supplies were upgraded. Mine has been refurbished but most of the parts are still stock, and I've toyed with swapping out the transformers. Even so, you're right, it is a great amp and will compete with others supposedly better. Your new equipment must be pretty serious if you decided to sell it, and the Sansui too. But of course, swapping equipment is half of the fun of this hobby, no? It's always nice to hear how different toys make the music sound, and to hear new things in it. I notice new aspects of the music each time I hear it on different equipment, speakers, rooms, etc. Nice room, good luck with everything.

It wasn't equipment that the proceeds went to. :scratch2:

What was great about that Magnavox was how smooth it was. And it projected a great soundstage. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one who rebuilt and modified it. That was done by someone far more knowledgeable than me. I do know the output transformers were replaced with better, all the caps were replaced with modern equivalents, the power supply capacitance was upped by a factor of 3 IIRC, and commie paper-in-oil caps were added to the circuit.

My speakers are pretty efficient, they're E-waves, and the Maggie could push them loud. But I was always leery of going too loud, for fear of damaging something.

Thanks for your kind comments!

system3.jpg

system1.jpg

system2.jpg

Someone's into woodworking! You gave your speakers a nice classic look. Nicely done.
Is your tube amp from a console?

The speakers look classic because they are! :thmbsp: They're vintage early 70's cabinets stuffed with modern and modern-ish components. The tube amp was originally in a Magnavox console, now long gone.

Back
Top Bottom