JICO SAS UPDATE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and that's just the styli. What of the different technologies that went into the cantilevers? And the suspensions? How close to original is Jico with these factors? (This is a Jico thread so sticking with them). I mean the cantilevers of some classic cartridges were/are sights to behold.

I have several original Shure N91ED styli. These were Made In USA, have thin cantilevers and "nude" diamond elliptical tips. I also have several later production Shure N91ED's that were made in Mexico. These have thicker cantilevers and "bonded" elliptical tips. I have had these for many years and occasionally compare the two types in the various turntables I've restored. I can hear absolutely no difference between them. Both types sound excellent and track very well.

I also have N91ED's by EVG, Pfanstiehl, and of course JICO. Of those three, the JICO is the only one that is indistinguishable in terms of sound quality from the original Shure. Not surprisingly, the JICO is built like the original, similar suspension system and magnets. The others have fewer components in their suspensions and smaller magnets. As @needlestein pointed out several posts ago, the polishing of the diamond tip also plays an important role in the sound of a stylus.

Good design and careful manufacturing is much more important than minute differences in cantilever material or shape of diamond tip.

Just 'in general'. Obviously, they are not the original manufacturer. But they are the best aftermarket manufacturer going without a doubt. But identical copies of the originals? No.

I hear what you're layin' down, brother. You don't currently own a Jico stylus, but if you were in need of an aftermarket stylus you'd be buyin' a Jico. Makes total sense!

Well, if production of the SAS is to be no more, this for me personally is very sad. I have the original boron SAS on a lowly Shure M92E cartridge and it was the best sound I ever heard via my setup. I had a malfunction with my turntable that caused the stylus to get damaged. So it appears if I want a replacement I will have to pay the inflated prices via the online resellers.

I hear what you're layin' down, brother. You don't currently own a Jico stylus, but if you were in need of an aftermarket stylus you'd be buyin' a Jico. Makes total sense!

Actually, I have quite a few Jico's. And again, I like them, but they are NOT original copies.

My opinion is, without a time machine or a personal stock of NOS Shure styli, the best you're likely to be able to do for these classic Shure cartridges is to get a JICO stylus. NOS Shure styli, especially anything connected to the V-15 series, tend to go for stupid amounts of money on eBay and the like. And like with anything, these old styli contain parts besides the needle which may degrade over time, even just sitting in the original packaging. Shure themselves haven't produced OEM replacement styli for their vintage cartridges in years, and their recent decision to stop producing what few cartridges they still manufactured was just their latest slap in the face to their phono customers. :rant: As I said before, I'm hopeful that JICO will find a way to bring back the SAS line, as they've been the best option us V-15 owners have had for these wonderful cartridges in a long, long time, be they identical to the originals or not. :music:
-Adam

I'm not attacking you, I'm just putting things in perspective.

Insulting my competence, my equipment and my manhood are all personal attacks. Need I remind you of the motto of this forum: All Audio, No Attitude?

You'd better have someone qualified to make sure everything is set-up properly.

You can't judge a cartridge if it is mounted in a poor performing changer such as a ELAC Miracord 45.

A couple of weeks ago you did the same thing and when I called you on it, insulting your seeming lack of manhood...

You don't own this forum. Others are welcome to participate, even those who don't always agree with you. I will not be bullied into non-participation by you, or anyone else.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just trying to help you out.

You keep quoting me so it seems like you are reaching out for some guidance. I'm happy to help you any way I can....:thumbsup:

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just trying to help you out.

You keep quoting me so it seems like you are reaching out for some guidance. I'm happy to help you any way I can....:thumbsup:

If insulting my "seeming lack of manhood" is your way of "helping". No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom