Jim Croce

Wally Swift

Yeah, great songwriter for sure. I'm spinning "Life and Times" and dang, this record SOUNDS magnificent. Is this considered one of those audiophile lps known for it's exceptional sound quality?

Post your thoughts on Croce.

I don't know if anyone puts it on any "audiophile" lists, but I think it is an excellent recording. In fact, all of Jim Croce's (sadly more limited than they should have been, due to his early demise) recordings are pretty good. He had a lot of support from his record company. I remember after he died, they put on a multimedia road show with a live emcee, slides, films and recordings talking about his life and music.

The show came to my high school, and all students got to skip a couple of classes to attend it! Always liked his music, and still do. "New York's Not My Home" can almost bring a tear to my eye, nearly every time. He was a very talented writer/performer. :music:

Recorded with tubes

how can you go wrong with that voice. Follow it up with some Gordon Lightfoot and then add some cognac to that cigar. :banana:

Wow. Blast from the past. Does that LP have "Roller Derby Queen"?

I always thought "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" was the coolest back when I was 8 years old.

And wasn't "Time in a Bottle" a made-for-TV movie?

Jim Croce was a big favorite when I was growing up. It really saddened me when he died. Great song-writer and musician. Loves songs to Working at the Car Wash Blues. Roller Derby Queen is the female version of Leroy Brown. Good stuff!

He was great and quite an entertaining story teller on stage in between songs, as well as in song. He played at the small junior college I attended right after high school and the opening act was Nils Lofgren. Quite a memorable evening.

Awesome, brings back memories from my youth. Was spinning "You Don't Mess Around With Jim" the other night............Good stuff!:music:

I did some 'net research and "Time in a Bottle" was released as a single 3-months after Jim's death and used in a made-for-TV drama called "She Lives."

His widow owns Croce's Restaurant and Jazz Club in San Diego.

heh! he was cool. Rapid Roy The Stock Car Boy, somehow missing from my collection, I will have to find a copy :)

100_1080.jpg

100_1083.jpg

His wife has a restaurant and bar place in the Gas Lamp District in San Diego called, of course, Croce's. They have decent food and live jazz.

My brother used to play his records all the time on a Fisher all in one stereo with a Gerard TT, I think.

If I thought really hard and made a list of my top 5 favorite songwriters, I guarantee he would be in there (and probably 1st or 2nd).

Back
Top Bottom