jmosher's 2215B repair

Jailtime

Standin' on a corner
Here's a little 2215B that jmosher brought to me for a repair. It had a smoked resistor on the right channel, it spewed its contents on neighboring resistors. A little scrounging in the schematic made me suspect the output transistors. Probing with the DMM confirmed my suspicions. A couple pairs of new On Semi MJE 15030/15031 and a handful of Panasonic FC caps brought her back to life. Of course I replaced the smoked 10 ohm resistor.

I set bias to 10mV, and hooked up the dummy loads and my Tek scope. The little 2215B made an impressive 23.2WPC into 8 ohms before clipping. First Marantz I've seen that made 50% more than it's rated power. :D Listening to it now on some Altec 412s that can be quite harsh. The 2215B is smooth and easy listening.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 134
Good job! I had 2215b and loved this small receiver. Still have 2216 that I listen to on a daily basis.

Thanks again for your work Kyle. I can't wait to hear this unit. She was pretty beat up when I found it cosmetically and limping along on the one channel. Kyle did the interior work and I cleaned up and scrounged some parts for the outside. This unit unit is for a friend and this will be his first vintage unit, I am excited to hand it over to him.

If anyone local needs some work done on their Marantz unit, Kyle is your guy!

Jeremy

I love that the amp board is flat and not sandwiched, easy to work on huh?

About as easy as it gets. If you had all your parts nicely sorted in a clean work area, you could probably restore one of these in 3 or 4 hours, and that's taking your time.

Note that this unit has TO-220 outputs. First time I've seen that in a Marantz receiver.

I really like the FC's in Marantz units .

Good to hear of another one getting a new life ,

Barney

Back
Top Bottom