Joe Bonamassa's 10 Underrated Guitarists

Nice recognition of Sister Seagull (Be Bop Deluxe - Bill Nelson). WNEW-FM NYC gave that some healthy airplay. I remember reading that he used some "flanger" or "envelope-follower" or something like that. I had it on vinyl before vinyl was "cool".

Walter Trout Red House is one heck of a jam and Walter has been jamming for years. Under rated or under the radar he is one hella guitarist.

I agree with Stephen Stills being on the list. I saw him solo once and it was just him and his guitar. He blew the place away. I love his work with Buffalo Springfield.

I always thought Lindsey Buckingham was a fine guitar player. Unfortunately he's remembered for Fleetwood Mac when they went bubblegum.

Is Roy Buchanan underrated?

Is Joe Bonamassa on his list of OVERrated guitarists? Most of his stuff seems overly clinical and lacking originality to me if anything. It's not ALL about technical skill.

He also seems to have a habit of trying to co-opt center stage rather than just play along ... he did that with some of the Beth Hart stuff, but she was just too strong to let that happen ... overall, that turned out to be quite the duel and succeeded despite the overblown riffs thrown out at random ...

Thanks for beating me to this post, sKiZo. I was just coming to post that exact thought.
I've tried to enjoy him, but, have always been left feeling,... mehhh, I've seen better.
Walter Trout plays more notes in his first song, before the lyrics, than JB does in a whole concert, and does so with high technical prowess.

David Lindley (who fairly well carried Ry Cooder, and a huge list of others).
But, well, he only occasionally plays a normal guitar; preferring all sorts of stringed instruments.

Thanks for beating me to this post, sKiZo. I was just coming to post that exact thought.

I hear-bye formally withdraw my post so you can be first! <G>

Probably get stoned for this (mmmmm ... stoned!) ... I've always thought of Steve Hackett as being technically perfect, but lacking in that certain something as well. His solo career crash seems to support this.

Now, Steven Wilson ... if you listen real close, he can sort of stumble through the notes sometimes, but even then, the original material and gusto with which he performs forgives that in spades. He da man ...

And any list of top guitarists that doesn't include Robert Cray or Steve Cropper? Harumph!

Walter Trout Red House is one heck of a jam and Walter has been jamming for years. Under rated or under the radar he is one hella guitarist.

Walter Trout is under the radar, but anyone who has seen/heard the man will not dare to underrate. In similar fashion Danny Gatton was under the radar -- only geetar cats and (enlightened) folk in the vicinity of DC knew Gatton. DG was a monster player. Dude could play perfect slide w/ an automobile windshield. Hell, @ a certain level I'd say that even Mr Guitar: Richard Thompson, is still under the radar. He's coming to Santa Barbara for one night @ the Lobero Theatre, a joint that seats ~800.

Nice recognition of Sister Seagull (Be Bop Deluxe - Bill Nelson). WNEW-FM NYC gave that some healthy airplay. I remember reading that he used some "flanger" or "envelope-follower" or something like that. I had it on vinyl before vinyl was "cool".

I saw Nelson w/ BBD several times @ the '70s, always a class act. Good singer, too.

I've tried to enjoy him, but, have always been left feeling,... mehhh, I've seen better.
Walter Trout plays more notes in his first song, before the lyrics, than JB does in a whole concert, and does so with high technical prowess.

David Lindley (who fairly well carried Ry Cooder, and a huge list of others).
But, well, he only occasionally plays a normal guitar; preferring all sorts of stringed instruments.

Walter Trout is under the radar, but anyone who has seen/heard the man will not dare to underrate. In similar fashion Danny Gatton was under the radar -- only geetar cats and (enlightened) folk in the vicinity of DC knew Gatton. DG was a monster player. Dude could play perfect slide w/ an automobile windshield. Hell, @ a certain level I'd say that even Mr Guitar: Richard Thompson, is still under the radar. He's coming to Santa Barbara for one night @ the Lobero Theatre, a joint that seats ~800.
Just wanted to agree with these posts, and add Bruce Cockburn from the nation's capital in the Great White North. He started out as an electric geetar slinger before reinventing himself as a folk singer/acoustic guitar player.

Back
Top Bottom