John Coltrane and Martin Luther king Jr.

fdrennen

Organist in Residence
John Coltrane, while not an outspoken activist, was a deeply spiritual man who believed his music was a vehicle for the message of a higher power. Coltrane was drawn to the civil rights movement after 1963. That was the year that Martin Luther King gave his “I Have a Dream” speech during the August 28th March on Washington, raising public awareness of the movement for racial equality. It was also the year that white racists placed a bomb in a Birmingham, Alabama church, and killed four young girls during a Sunday service.

The following year, Coltrane played eight benefit concerts in support of Dr. King and the civil rights movement. He wrote a number of songs dedicated to the cause, but his song “Alabama,” which was released on Coltrane Live at Birdland (Impulse!,1964), was especially gripping, both musically and politically. The notes and phrasing of Coltrane’s lines are based on the words Martin Luther King spoke at the memorial service for the girls who died in the Birmingham bombing. Mirroring King’s speech, which escalates in intensity as he shifts his focus from the killing to the broader civil rights movement, Coltrane’s “Alabama” sheds its plaintive and subdued mood for a crackling surge of energy, reflecting the strengthened determination for justice.

Thanks for this.

That version on the Jazz Casual DVD is well worth a listen for those haven't heard it yet. Hell, the whole thing is fantastic. Every Trane fan should see it at least once. That band...................

It's interesting in the song Alabama to hear Dr. King's words spoken and Coltrane playing as shown in the video. I have the Live At Birdland cd and this was always a great track.
A bit off topic but both of my parents loved Martin Luther King and my father once met him and helped pull his stuck car out of a icy parking lot in the early 60's.

Last edited:
Thanks for this.

That version on the Jazz Casual DVD is well worth a listen for those haven't heard it yet. Hell, the whole thing is fantastic. Every Trane fan should see it at least once. That band...................

I've seen this before and as you said, every Coltrane fan should see this! It's absolutely terrific.
What a terrific band indeed! :music::thumbsup:

Kris I watched that show when it was first broadcast in 1964 I still can feel the intensity of the performance by that band!

Cool! I can't imagine what it would be like to see something like that when it was fresh.

Back
Top Bottom