John Darko fan

Mortsnets

Anybody else like the reviews by John Darko on Digital Audio Review?

I really like his descriptions. Here is a sample from the review of the Rega Brio-R:

...its sound is earthy, fast, grounded, organic and detailed...

..the Naim Nait 5i (which I've previously owned) and the Exposure 2010s2 should consider themselves cross-haired. The Rega has more flair with micro-dynamics than the latter and serves up PRaT to rival the former.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.a...ews/item/325-rega-brio-r-integrated-amplifier

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that- I've never even heard of that site, but now I have it bookmarked. I'll have to dig into this site more- I like what I've read so far.

You've caught my attention with the word Naim. :) And I wonder how I haven't heard of this guy's site before, but I too have now bookmarked it.

One of the few reviewers out there that I really like. He gets to the point, isn't too flowery, and I always come away with a pretty good sense of whether something is up my alley or not. Seems to have pretty diverse tastes in music too, which is a good thing for those of us who don't listen to jazz or classical.

I do wish he'd look more closely at internal build quality, but since virtually nobody does, I can't complain too much.

..the Naim Nait 5i (which I've previously owned) and the Exposure 2010s2 should consider themselves cross-haired.

I must own up and say I work for an Exposure dealer but I was just doing a quick search to see if anyone mentioned the 2010S2 and your post came up. This really is a stupidly good product let down by lack of US recognition . . OK it's been in Stereophile's A category for a bunch of years but that doesn't really count. We use it for demos with a LOT of different speakers, sources and music . . and it never fails to sound good . . if I'm not too late make sure you do check one out some time as I think it's one of the best kept secrets in audio I've personally experienced.

Darko is da man - a fellow Aussie, and one who isnt afraid to tell it like he sees it. I was initially unimpressed when he gave so-so verdicts on a DAC which had been lavished with praise elsewhere, but I've come to realise that it was simply Darko being Darko. If he feels like using a four-letter word to describe the sound of a component, he will use that word. We need more reviewers who are prepared to put the boot in, regardless of the price or reputation of the component being reviewed. He is on a personal crusade atm re USB DACs, but that is a topic best left for another thread.

Keep em coming, Johnny !

Nice to see John getting some traction on audiokarma!

He's a mate of mine and is genuinely down-to-earth. He has even seen fit to publish some of my own reviews on his site.

Best of all, he has recently been using my personal Sansui AU-517 in his system, and has recently taken ownership of a fully restored AU-719 courtesy of yours truly and skippy124 (Dad). Can't say that he doesn't have good taste! ;)

I enjoy his work. It was his review of the Quad 11L Classic (and the low, low price) that piqued my interest. Hope his eye is doing better.

TONEAudio on Facebook is a wealth of information and a model of interactive journalism. I'll check out the link with great interest. Thank you. I love discovering worthwhile material on the net like this.

John is refreshing, as reviewers go.

Always make it an interesting read...
:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom