John DeVore’s “Rock-It” 88’s

Art K.

The Voodoo You Do!
Last year I picked up an old school Rega Apollo from Eugene HiFi just to have my world rocked by John DeVore’s little 3xl’s with a host of other tasty analog morsels. It’s only fitting that this year I would get rocked by Mr DeVore’s apes once again while picking up a new Apollo-R. Everytime I step into Dale & Chris Shepherds den of analog sin I wind up jonesin’ for a trip to the city to pick up some LP’s.

This time around Dale had a set of DeVore’s Gibbon 88’s set up along with a new Line Magnetic amp which was a brute. Couldn’t take my eyes off of the beautiful finish on the 88’s and the glowing 845’s on the LM amp. The source was a lovely Well Tempered Labs Versalex turntable with the DPS, Acoustic Plan Phonomaster phono pre amp and Van den Hul Frog Gold cartridge. Cables were all Auditorium 23. This promised be another special afternoon at Eugene HiFi.

014-15_zps545e97e1.jpg

018-11_zps1c8956f2.jpg

We started the afternoon by fine tuning the speaker setup. Once we had that out of the way we were off and running.

The musical selections for the afternoon included but were not limited to…

Iron and Wine- The Shepherds dog
Zino Francesca - A mix of classical violin pieces

Hank Mobley- Straight No Filter
Stanley Turrentine- Blue Hour
Donald Byrd- Royal Flush
Medeski, Martin, and Wood- Best of the Blue Note Years
Kenny Burrell- Midnight Blue
Black Keys- Brother
Eric Truffaz- the Mask
Ahmad Jamal- Porfolio

From the natural sound of the strummed guitar on the Iron and Wine album to the more adventurous electronic beats of Medeski, Martin and Wood the Gibbon’s made sense of it all and with an ease that was utterly beguiling. The Erik Truffaz album was edge of the seat listening for me. It was my first listen to that album, and I hope not the last.

One thing that became clear with every new selection that we played was just how transparent this set up was. From the tight upper bass to the shimmering highs this set up was an open window to each recording. Also evident was just how dynamic the system was. The low bass, though tight as a well tuned drum, was authoritative and hit with real slam. I think it goes without saying, but I’m going to say it anyway…John DeVore really understands how important accurate timbre is. It is essential to my enjoyment of a quality music system. This system did exactly that, it got the timbre and relative scale of instruments right. It came across as natural and free flowing. I’ve listened to some incredible analog set ups and the balance on display here was truly impressive.

As a HiFi dealer these fellas appear to have a method to their madness. An over arching ideology and principle that is rooted in music. For them music is the end and the playback equipment is the means to the end. They carry products they listen to and are proud to sell to family and friends. They aren’t concerned with the latest award winning products or what is hip today. What I notice about the systems that I listen to at Eugene HiFi is that the hardware gets out of the way and lets the music touch my soul. Not surprisingly both of the brothers are musicians, Dale a drummer and Chris a bassist and as you might suspect a listening session with these guys requires plenty of distance between listeners so as to avoid all the flailing about that takes place!

That’s what happened again during my recent visit. The system got out of the way and let me enter in to the world of the musician and feel the music as though It were a part of me. To be honest I don’t know which component in the setup was most impressive or what was mostly responsible for the wonderful sound I listened to. What I do know is that the sound was impressive in so many ways and that no matter where it all started it was John Devore’s “Rock-It” 88’s that touched my ears and heart last and left a lasting impression.

030-3_zps0076bd29.jpg

The preceding was not a review. It was simply a chronicle of a fun afternoon listening to music.

Peace out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Line Magnetic's craftsmanship is stunning to my eye I must say! Having not ever heard a Line Magnetic piece...they really have that Western Electric look. I've seen some of those old power supplies and tape recorders by the old Westrex corp and some of those old amps by Western Electric and they have a resemblance....you can see the inspiration.

The most musically convincing systems I have listened to, have for the most part been similar to this incredible chain. Minimal, with an analog only approach. As musicians, Eugene Hifi knows it, and clearly have the right idea.

Looks like a great shop, one that tries to sell systems as opposed to just products. Give me one reason why anyone would ever need to shop again after buying a system like this!?!?! Let's get realistic, this is a means to a glorious end - one that has the buyer enjoying music for the rest of their life with no worry for gear. Just the way it should be.

(sigh) With my kids, it's almost impossible to get out for an afternoon of listening at my local shops. I do miss it, but that time will come again.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time Art.

I am sure the 88's sound fantastic. Hard to go wrong with Devores when setup with components that compliment each other.

Heavenly to listen to and look at.

Nice write up, Art. It's probably tough to pick it out in the mix of the system, but what did you think about the Acoustic Plan phonomaster? It's definitely an intriguing piece.

Nice write up, Art. It's probably tough to pick it out in the mix of the system, but what did you think about the Acoustic Plan phonomaster? It's definitely an intriguing piece.

This is not my first go around with the Phonomaster and it really is amazing. I heard it before with the VdH Colibri cartridge and it clearly gave a clear insight in to the differences between the Colibri and Frog. Both being very insightful cartridges, the Frog Gold is more forgiving and a litter warmer sounding. I've listened to quite a number of great (and spendy) phono pre amps at Eugene HiFi and elsewhere and this one is my favorite. It's versatile enough to put an end to switching phono pre amps for a different sound. What you get from this one is all the goody you (I) could hope for. I'm sure there is better, but I'm not sure there is any better balanced.

Nothing about the the set ups at Eugene HiFi sounds like what so many folks associate with tubes. So many folks believe that what they hear from the older tube amps or newer ones like Jolida wholly represent tube sound. They really don't in my experience. The Line Magnetic amps I've listened to have all of the tonal richness associated with the best tube designs and the openness and dynamics of the finest solid state. It's an outstanding balance.

Man that is some super nice stuff.....All eye-candy for me, not sure I would ever be able to purchase gear like that.
And I agree, that system is one that would be an end all.

This is not my first go around with the Phonomaster and it really is amazing. I heard it before with the VdH Colibri cartridge and it clearly gave a clear insight in to the differences between the Colibri and Frog. Both being very insightful cartridges, the Frog Gold is more forgiving and a litter warmer sounding. I've listened to quite a number of great (and spendy) phono pre amps at Eugene HiFi and elsewhere and this one is my favorite. It's versatile enough to put an end to switching phono pre amps for a different sound. What you get from this one is all the goody you (I) could hope for. I'm sure there is better, but I'm not sure there is any better balanced.

Nothing about the the set ups at Eugene HiFi sounds like what so many folks associate with tubes. So many folks believe that what they hear from the older tube amps or newer ones like Jolida wholly represent tube sound. They really don't in my experience. The Line Magnetic amps I've listened to have all of the tonal richness associated with the best tube designs and the openness and dynamics of the finest solid state. It's an outstanding balance.

I've never heard one but will one day....from your description some type of hybrid sound? If so, I really need to hunt one down.

Man that is some super nice stuff.....All eye-candy for me, not sure I would ever be able to purchase gear like that.
And I agree, that system is one that would be an end all.

Some of the Line Magnetic pieces may be in your price range.

WHat kind of price ranges are we looking at? That is great looking gear by the way.

Just found a shop here that sells Line Magnetic....Devores(heard those already)....EMT carts....WELL TEMPERED LAB (heard those already)....going to have some fun soon.

Last edited:
I've heard DeVore speakers at shows and have always been impressed by the sound. Hell, the Line Magnetic stuff can sell on looks alone!

WHat kind of price ranges are we looking at? That is great looking gear by the way.

Line Magnetic Mini 218 - $800

The 211 IA - $1650

The 216 IA - $1850

218 IA - $3500......and they continue to go up.

The one in Art's post is listed at $7500

Erik...dont know if you remember as a boy or if you are in my age range but the Line Magnetic has some of the same designs as the old Western Electric amps from years ago. Thats why I like them...infact the Line Magnetic 91A is a complete twin of the Western Electric 91A. Do a image serch of the two...you will be either shocked or warmed over....I was the later. A fairly good Western Electric 91A will cost you 45k and up.

Last edited:

If you have to ask...:D

DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 88's $5800 per pair
Line Magnetic 219IA $7500
Acoustic Plan Phonomaster $3495 or Phonomaster SE (w/SUT) $4495
Van den Hul Frog Gold $3650
Well Tempered Versalex $4400 w/DPS approx $450
Auditorium 23 cables, Speaker $1180 for 3m, IC's $795 1m, Turntable mat $100

Line Magnetic Mini 218 - $800

The 211 IA - $1650

The 216 IA - $1850

218 IA - $3500......and they continue to go up.

The one in Art's post is listed at $7500

Erik...dont know if you remember as a boy or if you are in my age range but the Line Magnetic has some of the same designs as the old Western Electric amps from years ago. Thats why I like them...infact the Line Magnetic 91A is a complete twin of the Western Electric 91A. Do a image serch of the two...you will be either shocked or warmed over....I was the later. A fairly good Western Electric 91A will cost you 45k and up.

Sadly, my boyhood was during the worst abuses of the 70's SS monster receiver era. Other than some Telefunken pieces, the first big dollar system was based on a Marantz 2330 receiver. That's the beast that got me interested in audio, and oddly, I have never owned one.

If you have to ask...:D

DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 88's $5800 per pair
Line Magnetic 219IA $7500
Acoustic Plan Phonomaster $3495 or Phonomaster SE (w/SUT) $4495
Van den Hul Frog Gold $3650
Well Tempered Versalex $4400 w/DPS approx $450
Auditorium 23 cables, Speaker $1180 for 3m, IC's $795 1m, Turntable mat $100

As soon as I saw the Frog in that pic, I knew it wasn't going to be a cheap date.

I've never heard one but will one day....from your description some type of hybrid sound? If so, I really need to hunt one down.

Not a hybrid sound. The sound of quality tube components as opposed to less well designed ones that come off as euphonic and rolled off. It really is a great piece. Must admit that the blue color is not for everyone.

Not a hybrid sound. The sound of quality tube components as opposed to less well designed ones that come off as euphonic and rolled off. It really is a great piece. Must admit that the blue color is not for everyone.

I love funky colors!

There is a huge difference between what is acknowledged to be the "tube sound" and what tubes can actually do. My little Manley sure ain't "tubey" sounding in that way.

Back
Top Bottom