John Fogerty

c.coyle

Fighting the Dunning-Kruger effect.
I'm watching a John Fogerty concert on AXStv. I don't know when it was recorded, but it can't be that long ago. This guy still sings and plays like he's 25, and he just drips with down-to-earth soul. He is definitely not living off his past and just mailing it in. On top of everything else, he's still writing good new songs.

As from the very beginning with CCR, he's got a really tight band behind him, with an absolutely locked, pile driver rhythm section: David Santos on bass, Kenny Aranoff on drums.

Looking at his entire career, is it possible this guy is underrated?

There is a good argument to be made that CCR was the best American rock band. Who could underrate John Fogerty?

Fogerty has put out some good solo stuff that has been mostly overlooked. Not as consistent as say, Cosmo's Factory, but that's a high bar.

I'm watching a John Fogerty concert on AXStv. I don't know when it was recorded, but it can't be that long ago. This guy still sings and plays like he's 25, and he just drips with down-to-earth soul. He is definitely not living off his past and just mailing it in. On top of everything else, he's still writing good new songs.

As from the very beginning with CCR, he's got a really tight band behind him, with an absolutely locked, pile driver rhythm section: David Santos on bass, Kenny Aranoff on drums.

Looking at his entire career, is it possible this guy is underrated?
Used to be a real big CCR fan, still got the greatest hits albums in the collection (my old vinyl was wiped years ago)
I saw the last 20 minutes of that yesterday. It sounded like he had autotune or something going on
during some of the old songs where he sang higher pitched ...I know "everybody does it", but actually, not everybody does ...

Looked like he was having a lot of fun - not bad for 72 years old!

Did google, and at a quick glance, it kinda looks like this show,
Stage Monitors showed the album cover for Revival, (2007)
same stage layout, but the song order seems different -

Looks like a 2hr concert here at this YouTube link!

Last edited:
I get the impression that lots of people would put him at least one notch below Springsteen or Dylan or Neil Young. I would not, and that's why I think he's underrated.

Like him a lot more than Dylan or Springsteen, that's for sure. I believe the last album I have of JF is Revival. Very good. Need to see what he has out since then. I'll bet it is quite good.

I put seeing John Fogarty in my top 10 concerts, (out of the 500+ I have seen), back in '96 or so after he cleared up his legal matters with Fantasy records and was finally allowed to play his Creedence music again live. He was in top form, with Kenny Aranoff on drums and they crushed it. Place was singing along with every tune and begging for encores. Check out his live record, Premonition, as well as Centerfield and Blue Moon Swamp. I recently used "Almost Saturday Night" in a mixed tracklist and it is right up there with his CCR work.

Damn, he's ageless!:eek:

One of the few who struck out on his own and still draws the crowds.

Totally on board with the pos comments made on this songster.

Q

Back
Top Bottom