JohnVFs listening room...

These aren't great but the battery was dying. I was only able to shoot two pictures before it shut down.

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

Last edited:
So who are you listening to? I'm spinning 80s LPs tonight: Berlin, Souxie and the Banshees, Paul Young, Police....

These aren't great but the battery was dying. I was only able to shoot two pictures before it shut down.

In the heart of the city, yummy. Man do I ever remember that part of town...had the best ****in' Reuben of my life very near there. Sweet Home Chicago!

In the heart of the city, yummy. Man do I ever remember that part of town...had the best ****in' Reuben of my life very near there. Sweet Home Chicago!

Yeah, we're spoiled for food here. A bunch of my friends are obsessed with the trendy famous-chef places that sprout up but I'd rather find the little place with no pretense attached to it, that's been quietly serving great food to those who know for decades. We have everything food-wise here, every nationality, every region. The Ethiopian I had a few weeks ago was one of the best meals I've had in years.

So who are you listening to? I'm spinning 80s LPs tonight: Berlin, Souxie and the Banshees, Paul Young, Police....

I'm back to listening. The Go-Betweens, "Before Hollywood", and loading Lee Hazlewood's "A House Safe for Tigers" onto my server for the next spot.

I'm surprised how well The Go-Betweens are handled by the ESLs. You don't need to just listen to classical and jazz to enjoy them, though I was listening to Nina Simone before this.

Very nice urban rig, John. And it's about time you carved out a space where you could put up some acoustic treatments without so much concern for decor. Those panels you picked up from GC are actually pretty unobtrusive, IMO. I wasn't aware they sold those. How much were they?

Is that Home Depot near downtown? That would be one beef I'd have with city living....having to get out of the city to get to a Home Depot/Lowes. I'm kinda in the country now but fortunatley only about five minutes from a Lowes and Home Depot, but my last house was really out in the country and it was a twenty minute sortie to get to one. That was a PITA for a DIYer like me.

- Michael

I'm back to listening. The Go-Betweens, "Before Hollywood", and loading Lee Hazlewood's "A House Safe for Tigers" onto my server for the next spot.

I'm surprised how well The Go-Betweens are handled by the ESLs. You don't need to just listen to classical and jazz to enjoy them, though I was listening to Nina Simone before this.

Yeah......drawing a complete blank.

Very nice urban rig, John. And it's about time you carved out a space where you could put up some acoustic treatments without so much concern for decor. Those panels you picked up from GC are actually pretty unobtrusive, IMO. I wasn't aware they sold those. How much were they?

Is that Home Depot near downtown? That would be one beef I'd have with city living....having to get out of the city to get to a Home Depot/Lowes. I'm kinda in the country now but fortunatley only about five minutes from a Lowes and Home Depot, but my last house was really out in the country and it was a twenty minute sortie to get to one. That was a PITA for a DIYer like me.

- Michael
The square panels behind the couch were $30 a piece. I'm pretty sure that I could have made them myself for cheaper. And I'm pretty sure I never would have gotten around to doing so. They had that best attribute I can think of: they were there.

The foam egg-crate type stuff was around the same price.

Yeah, the Home Depot was close to downtown and right next door to Guitar Center. The only pain is getting my car, as I have to valet-park it at the hotel next door, which takes forever. You have to call down, they bring it, you wait. I hate that part as I just want to hop in and go. But actually getting out of downtown isn't that big of a deal most days. It's honestly not much worse than getting stuck behind an Amish buggy on the way to school where I grew up :). And if I go to the Home Depot south of downtown, I can be there in 7 minutes once I get my car. The under-city Lower Wacker road was closed for 2-years and nobody seems to know it's reopened. You can fly from one side of the city to the other in no time.

It can be a bit intimidating driving here the first time but once you know where you're going, I really can't imagine a city this size that's easier to drive in. You learn what roads to avoid and the shortcuts that tourists don't know about. I tend to get more lost in the suburbs than I do here.

The square panels behind the couch were $30 a piece. I'm pretty sure that I could have made them myself for cheaper. And I'm pretty sure I never would have gotten around to doing so. They had that best attribute I can think of: they were there.

So $90 + tax. How you likin' that ROI, John? Very few signal stream tweaks can offer the ROI of some basic (proper) acoustic treatments. Good stuff. Even if you wanted to DIY your own, where the hell would you build them? Does the building offer a little utility/garage area or something of the like for that sort of thing?

Back
Top Bottom