1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Joined the LS3/5A Club

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by Fairlane, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Fairlane

Fairlane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Picked up these nice 15ohm Roger's up today. Not a "Scroe" by any stretch but still a fair price for unmolested originals I thought.

Everything looks good and original I think based on my research before buying. Will post some listening impressions after I spend time with them.

Always wanted a pair and think these were worth the wait.

Original dust as purchased from the original owners grandson. You can see the grill pattern in the dust..

Grills are perfect just not shown.

These speakers say quality and engineering the minute you touch them then open them up.

20181126_131230.jpg

After a good dusting.
    20181126_143044.jpg

Dusty, dusty.
    20181126_131225.jpg 20181126_143040.jpg 6 20181126_143034.jpg 20181126_143056.jpg 20181126_141431.jpg 20181126_140320.jpg 20181126_141511.jpg 20181126_141541.jpg
    Glad to see all looks good inside.

Hooking them up to a pair of Dynaco MKIII'S for their maiden voyage.

Love British monitors. ;)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

great speakers. you will enjoy them!

3. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

I've long wanted to hear what those sound like...

4. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congrats! I would love to get a pair one day and compare them with my LS3/6's.

5. Fairlane

Initial thoughts on them were wow there is not a lot there. Then you really listen and sit back and the sound just kind of floats through the air it is really nice. No blaring highs or jarring lows just the best of
    the sound in between that spectrum. Pin point accuracy with voices too with a slight toe-in.

My Beatles albums sound stupendous through these as do my Flac files. Just not going to shake the house but I have speakers for that. In my middle aged years I appreciate accurate sound a lot more than volume these days.

Sorry not the best at describing sound but I like it. Going to do some more listening this weekend and get them on proper stands.

DOBIEGUY and Wolverine like this.
  6. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think you now understand why they have the reputation that they have. It sounds like they excel at vocals and accurate presentation. Congrats again!!

7. GAryB

GAryB AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congrats on the new (to you) LS3/5a speakers. I saw these for sale on the craigslist and was mightily tempted. I think he has another pair still for sale but I have too many speakers already. But these are classics. Enjoy them!
    ---Gary

8. Fairlane

These are special speakers deserving of the hype in my opinion. Using them for almost two weeks straight.

They make my JBL L20 T3's which I like a lot sound crude by comparison.

9. Powertech

Powertech Well-Known Member

10. Fairlane

11. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

also try ls35a.com - complete history and specs. and if you read Chinese there's a coffee
    table quality book on the speakers.