Jonesing for a new (used) SACD player! Suggestions?

Roypercy

For the past couple years I've been using a Marantz DV-6600 for 2-channel playback. The Marantz replaced a Sony DVP-NC875V, and it was a great improvement over the thin sound of the Sony. The Marantz is very easy to listen to, a very "warm" sound I would say, but it can get a bit congested on complicated orchestral or rock music. The soundstage could be wider and deeper, I'd like more "air" in the music. And I guess I'm just getting restless. I've been checking out CL and that auction site and I'm looking for a decent upgrade on the cheap - budget of $150 or less (hey, the Marantz cost me 40 bucks, so I'm talking almost a 400% increase!)

I've been looking at the following units that i think I can find on the used market within my budget:

Sony DVP-NS3100ES
Sony DVP-NS900V
Sony SCD-C2000ES
Sony DVP-NC555ES
Denon DVD-2910 or 3910
Pioneer Elite 59avi
Arcam Diva 135 or 137

Any recommendations among these machines? I have a growing collection of SACDs, but mostly I listen to Redbook, playing on my beautiful-sounding but already very warm University Dual Classic 12's. So I need excellent Redbook playback. My wife has expressed a preference for a changer (we used to have one before I got the Marantz). But I'm just looking for the best sound (and it's my stereo, damn it!) But given that I have a very decent and reliable player now, I don't want to make a lateral move, I'm looking for a real sonic upgrade on the cheap. Thoughts?

BTW, and for what it's worth, my research leads me to believe that the Marantz DV-6600 is essentially a Denon 1920 with a slightly improved analog output stage. So what I'm really asking is, which of the players I listed would be a real upgrade from that level?

I have and use a Yamaha DVD-S1800. It does SACD's and DVD-A. I don't have any DVD-A's but I have a number of SACD's. This Yamaha outputs analog from SACD's with no conversion to PCM.

Back
Top Bottom