JRiver Media + Topping D30 producing intermittent, mid-pitched 'tones'

futureman

If not now, whenever.
I'm an avid JRiver Media user, and I just added a Topping D30 dac to my system. The soundstage is wide and overall sound impressive for such an inexpensive unit. JRM settings are adjusted according to Toppings' recommendations:

Driver: XMOS USB 2.0 (ASIO)
Output: DSD bitstream in DoP format
Bitstreaming: Yes (DSD)

DAC and laptop volumes are maxed (per the suggestion of a poster on the JRM community forum). Yet after an hour or so of play, I start getting intermittent, mid-pitched "tones" (not static or buzz sounds) that last about 1 second. If I could resolve this problem, I'd be muy happy.

Does this problem sound familiar or suggest a diagnosis? I would appreciate any guidance you can offer!

I wanted to make sure I had the correct driver for my D30 so I emailed Topping customer service, and they wrote back to confirm it. I had a little trouble finding it so wanted to be sure. I love my D30 and have had no issues since I got it 3 or 4 months ago - it sounds great to me. I'm running Windows 7 with this driver version, in case it helps. (It's the one Topping said was correct):
,XMOS driver.JPG

I don't see why this would be a JRiver issue but you could test that by running the Topping with another media player to see if it reoccurs. I'm thinking it could be an electronic issue with the Topping.

Wow, that is so strange.

When it happens, does it repeat at a certain time intervals? I mean like (tone ~ 10 seconds ~ tone 10 seconds, etc)

What happens if you shut off the song and start again? Does it take another hour or so to return?

@futureman

Back
Top Bottom