1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

JU 52 crash in Switzerland!

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by HarmanKardon, Aug 5, 2018.

1. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

A 79 years old JU 52 crashed today in the Swiss Alps and about 20 people lost their life. I never heard before from a classic plane crash.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton AK Subscriber Subscriber

3. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

That's too bad

4. Tim64

Tim64 Super Member

I used to be really into Luftwaffe aircraft at one time and the JU-52 is a pretty bullet proof design. The article on the crash said it went straight in which is odd. I will not be surprised if gross pilot error was the cause or if it was a deliberate act by a party unknown. Sad that 20 people lost there lives in what for me would be the thrill of a life time to fly in one. Don't mind my speculation but to me this smells to high heaven.

Harvestor and cratz2 like this.
  5. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

With three motors, it was most likely a fuel problem. In the early years of WWII those were used for the German Airborne. They would walk out on the wing and then slide off. Later they cut a hole in the floor near the end of the fuselage and the forces would drop through the hole.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  6. jlh3rd

jlh3rd Active Member

yeah, i don't know about it being a fuel issue. even if all motors were to quit, the aircraft can still maintain a glide path and even land..(sully and the hudson for example). Also ,straight in to me means a 90 degree attitude of the aircraft into a horizontal surface. ...so...was it a malfunction or failure of a flight control surface , mainly the elevators?....that'd be my guess based on the very limited info on the story.

7. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

Pretty sad!

If they come in nose down like that it's usually a stall issue and that can be from going too slow as the result of pulling up to avoid something that was hiding behind a cloud for instance. You can recover from a stall if you have lots of altitude as you need lots of room to get it flying again. Icing can also cause it to stall much easier.

Nautiker likes this.
  8. jlh3rd

jlh3rd Active Member

your right about a stall at low altitudes per se, but this is where lack of info comes into play. A 79 year old aircraft was probably not equipped for IFR conditions. therefore, it would not have been in clouds. But, it may have been.The article said it was used as a tourist operation so i do doubt it being instrument capable and was probably VFR only.
    The Ford tri- motor that tours the country( similar to this Ju-52) is a VFR only aircraft, visual conditions only.......
    They are mentioning higher than standard air temperature as a consideration in the investigation which causes " thinner" air and reduced performance...but...the pilots were also highly experienced, and the altitude was only around 8500 ft which should have been well within the performance capabilities of the aircraft........these are all assumptions and speculative...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  9. WhiteSE

WhiteSE Is Lute Gluten Free?? Subscriber

Very strange reporting....It says it hit the mountain...then mentions a vertical flight into the ground.

10. FONSguy

FONSguy Super Member

Perhaps one wing stalled causing it to spin in.

11. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

jlh3rd, I flew in that Ford tri-motor at Oshkosh years ago. Quite a thrill to fly in that. Most memorable flight was in an old Stearman about 35 years ago. That was up in the New Hampshire mountains flying just above the tree tops at some points. What a blast.

BillWojo

Pio1980 likes this.

12. jlh3rd

jlh3rd Active Member

i paid to sit in the First officer's seat in the tri motor so i flew it for most of the 15 min airtime. I'm a retired airline pilot ( july) , but this is real flying. what a kick. I had a friend a few years back that was a partner in a Stearman so I actually got about 3 hrs in it which included takeoffs and landings....It's actually a big airplane and was a blast to fly. .....what a beautiful airplane too.

13. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Flying in a Ford tri' is sorta like flying in a Model A, quite an experience.

14. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 Penny and her new friend Sponsor Subscriber

I just watched the movie Where Eagles Dare (Richard Burton/Clint Eastwood).
    I believe that's the plane they escaped in at the end of the movie.

Bob

15. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

jumped from in beginning and left in at end.

now go see kelleys hereos.

16. jlh3rd

jlh3rd Active Member

i

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018