Juicy vs. Modwright vs. Audible Illus vs. Mac

Not any "huge" differences, but enough for me to prefer reasonably priced NOS tubes. I'm currently happy with NOS 60s RCA 5687 tubes. Accurate and out of the way. Sylvania GB (Gold Brand) were a bit on the goopy side. Had trouble with microphonics on Tungsol after three sets which is why I dig the trouble free RCAs. That being said, I'm anxious to try some NOS 7119 tubes just for kicks. Never hurts to have a drawer full of back up tubes with listening notes.
Glad to hear that rolling offers some interesting variations. One of the pieces I'll be moving in order to buy a new pre is a Dared SL-2000a. Was a bit of an AK darling in the mid-to-late 2000's. Very affordable, no longer produced Chinese pre. Responded very well to rolling and I loved hearing all the differences between tubes. I built up a nice little stash of 12at7 pairs and various rectifier tubes. Kinda bummed I won't be able to use all those at7's pretty soon...but at least I'll have a new pre!

Glad to hear that rolling offers some interesting variations. One of the pieces I'll be moving in order to buy a new pre is a Dared SL-2000a. Was a bit of an AK darling in the mid-to-late 2000's. Very affordable, no longer produced Chinese pre. Responded very well to rolling and I loved hearing all the differences between tubes. I built up a nice little stash of 12at7 pairs and various rectifier tubes. Kinda bummed I won't be able to use all those at7's pretty soon...but at least I'll have a new pre!

That's the rub. You stock up on a particular kind of tube, then you move that piece on for another tube piece that uses a different tube set and have a bunch of tubes you no longer need. You dump the tubes you no longer need, stock up on tubes for your new piece. Then you buy yet another piece that uses the original kind of tube you dumped, and wish you had the stash you sold off.

Ah, a fun hobby for sure. :)

That's the rub. You stock up on a particular kind of tube, then you move that piece on for another tube piece that uses a different tube set and have a bunch of tubes you no longer need. You dump the tubes you no longer need, stock up on tubes for your new piece. Then you buy yet another piece that uses the original kind of tube you dumped, and wish you had the stash you sold off.

Ah, a fun hobby for sure. :)
lol - and round and round we go

Have fun on that there merry-go-round! I liked my Juicy Blueberry Extreme (w/Cream). Very atractive, I thought, very nice sound. I sold my second system off so didn't keep it, but I miss it sometimes. Of course, Modwright is also very much on my radar...never heard any, but want to, largely because of ictwoody.

Just saying if a Juicy Music unit comes up cheaply enough, I'd still be considering it, personally. But if the money was equal, at this point I'd be choosing Modwright, since I haven't heard one yet!

Can't wait to see what you end up with :)

Have fun on that there merry-go-round! I liked my Juicy Blueberry Extreme (w/Cream). Very atractive, I thought, very nice sound. I sold my second system off so didn't keep it, but I miss it sometimes. Of course, Modwright is also very much on my radar...never heard any, but want to, largely because of ictwoody.

Just saying if a Juicy Music unit comes up cheaply enough, I'd still be considering it, personally. But if the money was equal, at this point I'd be choosing Modwright, since I haven't heard one yet!

Can't wait to see what you end up with :)

Uhhh sorry? :)

One really nice thing about Modwright is how accessible Dan and his crew are and how they support their equipment. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Mark and Juicy Music any more. So that's a big consideration for me. But I wouldn't trade any of the Modwrights I've owned to have my JMBBX back. I feel like all of them are better than the JM across the board. Well... except for aesthetics... the the JMs look super sexy in their wood cases I think.

- Woody

Back
Top Bottom