Jukeboxes, what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by pingu_turbo, Nov 23, 2012.

1. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I love the look of vintage juke-boxes so revived this thread in order to ask for more pics. I know nothing about them, other than how to feed them pocket change back in the day (which was still mostly after their own day) in various juke-joints. So any commentary is also welcomed. Would be cool to see pics of a recent resto, too.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 604man

604man Well-Known Member

3. 604man

604man Well-Known Member

4. 604man

604man Well-Known Member

5. 604man

604man Well-Known Member

6. 604man

604man Well-Known Member

7. 604man

604man Well-Known Member

8. Pioneered

Pioneered Well-Known Member

Would love to have one, got plenty of 45's that just sit. If only I could afford one of the originals restored.

9. 604man

604man Well-Known Member

You could go with a 70's box , I would recommend Seeburg or Rockola which you can
    purchase rather cheaply . In my collection , I have a Seeburg STD2 FROM 1975 which
    has the infinity light box .. I paid $100.00 I recapped the amp & digital control module
    replaced bulbs .... they can be had for cheap - some boxes you just don't want .
    stay with Seeburg and Rockola.

10. 604man

604man Well-Known Member

11. Pioneered

Too new for me sir, would have to have one from at least the late 50's but, I do appreciate your suggestion.

12. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

While nice, can't recommend a Wurlitzer late model. Defunct company, more complex to repair than need be, sound good but not the best. AMI-Rowe/Antique Apparatus made a Wurlitzer style reproduction jukebox playing 45 RPM that was superior to Deutsche Wurlitzer's own, sounded better, better made, and was many times more reliable, and way easier to get parts for. And you can still keep maintained today. Used the late R series mechanism.

13. KentTeffeteller

A real 1015 plays 78 RPM only. Some got converted to 45 RPM, but the arm is too heavy, too crude for 45 RPM duty. The reproductions are not as good, not as reliable, presently getting harder to find parts for, the parts for them are among the most expensive jukebox parts (German built). And the 45 RPM and CD are not real 1950's except for appearance.

14. KentTeffeteller

Get a Rock-Ola or AMI/Rowe. Much simpler mechanically, easier to repair and to maintain. And you can get cartridges. You have choice in cartridges. Seeburgs are nice, sound nice, but much more complex to repair and maintain, and proprietary cartridges/styli. Wurlitzers likewise, and Wurlitzers up to the last US mono model also have the Zenith Cobra cartridges to deal with, very expensive. If you must have a Wurlitzer. get a Stereo model and avoid the last USA Wurlamatic mechanism equipped models (which had a lot of reliability woes due to not being adequately field tested before production, which sank the USA Wurlitzer company)

15. arts

arts Super Member

A good friend had a severe hum with his jukebox (Rock-Ola) and asked me to rebuild the amplifier. I was surprised at the sound and build quality; A 5U4,pair of cathode-biased 6L6's,a couple of 6SN7's,a 15 inch and a horn. This thing can really party up a roomo_O

604man likes this.
  16. Pioneered

Thank you for the advice sir, you sure sound like you know what your talking about but, sadly my wants only come 2nd to my needs and this old mans pocket book can't afford his wants most of the time.
    But, I'm happy with that, we all needs dreams.

17. audioman356

audioman356 New Member

When I was little, my Mom and Dad were friends with the owner of a local cafe in the city where lived. I got to visit her house for a party she was having and saw a Jukebox playing in her living room. I was entranced instantly, and just stood there watching the mechanism, she noticed that I liked it and allowed me to operate it. Let's just say I fell in love with Jukeboxes that day.