Jumping ship - Need help deciding

naillos

Hey there, I am thinking of jumping ship from my current Marantz 2220b to something with a bit more power behind it and I figured why not play around a little and try out something different.

I was lucky enough to receive a really wonderful setup from a family friend
Thorens td 125 mkii with a SME 3009 (improved) with an aurum classic cartridge from clear audio
Gram Amp 2 preamp
Celestion SL6S speakers

He had everything to spare except an amplifier which I went and researched myself last summer. I really fell in love with the 70's era gear and had a lot of fun deciding on and hunting down my current receiver but at the time didn't consider (or know more so) about just how power hungry those celestions are.

I have a budget of roughly $500 CAD to go with once I sell my current receiver and wanted to look for some suggestions that may pair nicely with what I have currently. I am definitely not against integrated amplifiers as I've found myself seldom listening to the radio.

Thanks for the help!

Any opinion on the AU-5900? I have seen a couple posted in my area around Toronto. Most people are posting them at around $500 but I think that may be a bit steep for that model unless I am mistaken

My suggestion is go with the 80's or 90's because they are cheaper and better IMHO. I think the Sansui AU-X711 or AU-701, or even the AU-X901 are all posible with a $500 budget.

If you go integrated don't be afraid to consider the beautiful Denon PMA-777. Much less expensive than Sansui and absolutely wonderful sound.

IMHO, find a nice 517 - 717. They're one of the best valued amps going around. It will power your Celestions nicely.
IMAG0083.jpg
IMAG0086.jpg

I'm really leaning towards the au517, I'm a big fan of that warm tube like sound I'm getting from my marantz and from what I've read that tended to be more prevelant from their 70s gear. It's a shame I saw one on Canuckaudiomart for a fantastic price but it's halfway across the country.

Thanks for all the help so far, the 517 is gorgeous. Keeping my eyes out for one as soon as possible!

Put it this way, for around $200 - $300, what can you get???? Mmmm not much but a nice AU-517 :smoke: or stretch it to the AU-717. Get the rack handles with it as well :thumbsup:

If you get a nice one then spend another couple hundred on a recap - restoration then you'll have a very reliable nice sounding unit.

Put an ad in Bartertown.

AU-717

sansuiau7174.jpg

Hey there, I am thinking of jumping ship from my current Marantz 2220b to something with a bit more power behind it and I figured why not play around a little and try out something different.

I was lucky enough to receive a really wonderful setup from a family friend
Thorens td 125 mkii with a SME 3009 (improved) with an aurum classic cartridge from clear audio
Gram Amp 2 preamp
Celestion SL6S speakers

He had everything to spare except an amplifier which I went and researched myself last summer. I really fell in love with the 70's era gear and had a lot of fun deciding on and hunting down my current receiver but at the time didn't consider (or know more so) about just how power hungry those celestions are.

I have a budget of roughly $500 CAD to go with once I sell my current receiver and wanted to look for some suggestions that may pair nicely with what I have currently. I am definitely not against integrated amplifiers as I've found myself seldom listening to the radio.

Thanks for the help!
Good choice jumping to Sansui from the 2220B. I started out with Sansui, tried everything else in between and ended back at Sansei. Good luck!

Luckily I've got a really beautiful separate preamp component the graham sleeman gram amp 2. Really beautiful phono stage and does an amazing job on reducing and static.

If I found a au 519 for $200 I think I'd lose my mind with excitement. Majority of the what's posted in my area on kijiji has been more in the $500 range which I think is a bit steep for that unit.

Don't be afraid to look at a AU-D11 if one is around. I'm liking mine since I got it repaired.

sansui-au-d11-analoger-hi-end-verstaerker.jpg

Not my pic.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really well versed between the differences. I have more Marantz's than Sansui's but I believe the AU-D11 is from the 1980-83 era. So, right after the 519, 919 series. It's 120 wpc and has a copper plated chassis. It is well built, and seems to be a little more complicated than the 717 or 919. I have read that some think it has a more sterile in a good way sound but I wouldn't know. I have never heard a 919 to compare it with. It does not have pre outs. It has a very nice phono section, MC and MM capable.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge could offer their thoughts.

Last edited:
To tell you the truth, I'm not really well versed between the differences. I have more Marantz's than Sansui's but I believe the AU-D11 is from the 1980-83 era. So, right after the 519, 919 series. It's 120 wpc and has a copper plated chassis. It is well built, and seems to be a little more complicated than the 717 or 919. I have read that some think it has a more sterile in a good way sound but I wouldn't know. I have never heard a 919 to compare it with.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge could offer their thoughts.

The AU-D11 is a beautiful sounding amp. It features the older generation circuit design, rather than the X-balanced design pioneered in the AU-D11 II. The original D11 is not sterile as such - it has a very nicely balanced sound to it.

The AU-D11 is one of those amps which sits in between the warmer early 70's sound (less resolving) and the later AU-Alpha sound (more resolving). I could easily live with an AU-D11!

I went from a Marantz 2385 to a Sansui AU-D11-ii with a TU-S9 tuner, but that was 15+ years ago when Sansui gear didn't have quite the cachet it does now.

Back
Top Bottom