Just acquired - 1960s Stromberg Carlson console

Jrusso07

This was my Dad’s. He worked at Stromberg Carlson in the 50’s and 60’s.

The amp is a model ASR-880-G. It’s covered in dust...
FB9AA2AF-81CB-48D9-8E19-B4853252CCD9.jpeg 16BEFFAF-9C78-408B-B814-8BCAC1688C6D.jpeg

The tuner is a model SR-440
7FC0CC72-C1B7-4ED7-955A-7F08EFA64B58.jpeg 1D146D17-4B22-4CCE-BE2C-91F13001D84D.jpeg

Speakers are LK-486, apparently Dad didn’t like the “acoustic labyrinth” effect as he stuffed it with insulation
E3D7EE43-3110-4B3E-903A-51B694B16DF6.jpeg

Has a Garrard record changer on a pull out drawer. Drawer has a auspension to support the turntable
8A7FF24C-BDC4-4708-9752-CC4C72890451.jpeg

Will be sorting through this with intent to get it operational and sounding good again.

Will need your help!

Changer looks like an RC-210. If its typical, mostly thats a clean, de-grease and re-lube, and possibly an idler wheel. Basically every 60 year old changer needs the same stuff.

The amp and tuner likely also want the same cleaning and re-cap. Check the resistors too. A very large number of the ones in my asr--433 were considerably off. Not sure if that has to do with the brand of resistors used or storage conditions, but its worth a look.

If you're planning to bring it up before replacing parts (and I would), dust it off first and bring it up using a variac or a dim bulb tester to keep an eye on things. There are some more details in the sticky up at the top of this forum

I used to know a guy who had a Penn-Yan boat. It was a pretty cool machine, that tunnel drive setup worked well.

Thanks guys.

Changer is a RC-210.

Spent a few hours cleaning them

Have not brought them up yet. Most of the tubes are Stromberg tubes.

EF3202F1-C6D0-4483-9CBD-9B2EB4076225.jpeg EBCE62D3-8CA0-46D0-90DF-DC0B1867CCFA.jpeg 2C10E55E-8A1C-49A3-8EF5-0D67F94A39C3.jpeg

First question: on the Receiver Dad had two boxes in series with the front end.

One in a metal box, three tubes (one missing) and a pot on the front.

The other in a plastic case (home brew) with a circuit card. It has ac power to it.

Any idea of function? Modern FM signal upgrade. Maybe tube box is a signal booster?

Pics follow

8165C75C-A061-4D73-BAF5-FA22258277C3.jpeg D06F2138-98E3-4CEA-979D-35C1C6AEF2FD.jpeg 87D6D4FB-9715-48C8-9035-37C6CE7AC25F.jpeg

The one in the plastic box is the Stromberg multiplex adapter for stereo FM. See my website.

The other MIGHT be an SCA receiver (SubCarrier Authorization) to receive other signals piggy-backing on the FM signal. (It's factory made - rivets not screws. And only has ONE output - so it's not for stereo)

Tom, did SC actually use a plastic box for their MPX units? Almost looks like an engineering prototype with the plastic case and the perf board.

Is the control on the front of the mystery box a variable knob or an on/off switch? I'd think an SCA setup would just be a switch, but who knows. Where was it connected in the system?

That is one fine looking console. I like the components in the front without the flip up top, gives you the option of putting a tv or other components on top.

15BDD40D-EC09-4600-A7E1-2D115F69BA54.jpeg The mystery box was before the multiplex adapter. The knob on the front is a potentiometer.

There was a Y phone plug on the input side but I failed to get info on the other connection (Doh!)

Nice console. Glad to hear you are going to keep her intact. So many of these iconic statements of style and luxury have been lost over the years. Watching with interest!

The Stromberg mpx was in a metal box; his father worked for Stromberg and maybe he got a reject which he fixed up (or maybe it WAS a proto...). PCB and transformer look original, connectors are not. SCA and multiplex use the same input - unfiltered "mpx out" on the tuner. Stereo uses 38 kHz subcarrier, SCA uses 67 KHz (and some others too). Muzak used SCA but there were many others, mostly pay services that would rent the receivers.

Thanks for the comments and help. I will rebuilt the system and put it back into the console - the way Dad had it. I can tell you, the sound from this turntable and amplifier is (was) spectacular, made me a lover of good audio all my life. Nothing beats vinyl and nice warm tubes

Last edited:
If you haven't found my website yet, you'll find the service info there: http://www.audiophool.com/MadeInRoch.html

Thanks for this....I may be the last person to find it but it's really appreciated. Couldn't connect to it a day or two ago and feared it might be down, so I'm glad to see it's doing well. I finally sourced the S-C amp of my dreams (well I hope so) and am awaiting its arrival. It's a (restored) ASR-120 and I'm busy reading all the relevant threads here now. Learning a bit more about reading schematics too.

Well it didn't take me long to come up with a safety-related question.
Excerpted from http://www.montagar.com/~patj/ap56.htm:

• Danger: Under certain conditions, such as when it has been turned on, this amplifier can produce deadly DC voltages in excess of 400 volts and deadly AC voltages in excess of 800 volts. Tubes and other components can reach temperatures of several hundred degrees. Never touch the chassis or a ground with a part of your body when probing for voltages. Always use a grounded power cord. Keep one hand in your pocket when probing or measuring. Never use a larger fuse than specified in the instructions or on the equipment. Never work alone on high voltage equipment. If you do not understand the hazards of this kind of work, enlist the aid of someone who does, such as a professional technician or possibly a hardware hacker or an amateur radio enthusiast. Old guys who repaired RADAR gear or transmitters in the military are highly recommended as mentors! Respect them and listen carefully to their valuable wisdom concerning such matters! Don't fry yourself. God is only a prayer away, and a couple hundred volts is all it takes to meet Him.
Since mine is (and many others are) a 'console pull' the chassis is right there and I'm sure I'll be touching it a lot. My meter probes are insulated of course. I've never heard the part about keeping one hand in your pocket.. is that to prevent making a circuit?

Obviously I won't be touching tubes, but that's about heat not power. What else must one not touch while the unit is in operation? Reference photo from web:

sc_asr-120_reduced1.jpg

High voltage from one arm to the other passes right across your heart. Assuming that you'd rather keep it beating, you will avoid creating a circuit path with both hands! You can measure voltages with ONE hand, the other meter lead is clipped to the chassis or other return point. As for just touching the chassis alone, in SOME cases there is an old capacitor connecting it directly to the power line... which you could trust 60 years ago, but now, who knows? And various other failures can put line voltage on the chassis, which is why a modern version would be required to have a 3-wire power cord with the chassis grounded. The ASR-120 does have a fuse (soldered in underneath) unlike many of it's contemporaries. One further step would be to add a metal bottom plate to reduce fire and shock hazards.

High voltage from one arm to the other passes right across your heart. Assuming that you'd rather keep it beating, you will avoid creating a circuit path with both hands! You can measure voltages with ONE hand, the other meter lead is clipped to the chassis or other return point. As for just touching the chassis alone, in SOME cases there is an old capacitor connecting it directly to the power line... which you could trust 60 years ago, but now, who knows? And various other failures can put line voltage on the chassis, which is why a modern version would be required to have a 3-wire power cord with the chassis grounded. The ASR-120 does have a fuse (soldered in underneath) unlike many of it's contemporaries. One further step would be to add a metal bottom plate to reduce fire and shock hazards.

TYVM. The one I bought has been retrofitted with a three-prong grounded plug, presumably done right but I do believe I'll check out the chassis with my current sensor before playing with it.

Back
Top Bottom